Question Crashing/Rebooting

Jan 4, 2020
Hi everyone :)
I recently posted on reddit about how I was going to get rid of my 5700XT and was told that my PSU was more than likely the problem over my GPU, so I decided I would replace my PSU instead as I really want to keep my 5700XT.

My problem is my games will crash/ my system will reboot while gaming, but my GPU/CPU will not crash while running stress tests. If it was my PSU causing these problems, surely it would crash when I stress test and both my GPU and CPU are on 100% usage?

I’ve also noticed that Minecraft tends to reboot my system instead of just the game crashing while CSGO/R6 Siege tend to crash to desktop.

I’ve ran MEMTEST86 with no errors, updated my drivers& bios to latest, put my drivers on older versions. Etc to no avail.

At this point I’m starting to think it’s a faulty GPU?

When I check EventViewer I get a ‘Kernel-Power, The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed or lost power unexpectedly’.

When I then click into the details of this, it gives me the bud code:278 which reads VIDEO_TDR_ERROR-“ This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout fail’.

Sorry for the long post, but I’m genuinely getting desperate to fix this PC, it is my first pc build btw. Any help is appreciated a lot!

Specs are:
Ryzen 5 3600(stock cooler)
B450 Tomahawk Max
Evga 650W BQ
16GB 3000MHZ Corsair vengeance