Crashing to Black or grey

Alex_182

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Okay this is my first post so I hope i got it in the correct area.

I have been coming across this site constantly for help after building my new rig and its helped time and time again from Hard drive issues to sound card onboard vs card for 5.1 to drivers left n right and now video so i felt it was time to sign up and ask for myself.

My video card (im assuming) is crashing and making my screen go Black or Grey and only way to reset is holding the power button and hard resetting. I have noticed (but im doubtful about it) that when i pause netflix within 5-10min either still browsing or walking away it will do this issue. But it seems Only when NF is running or open. Ive played movies, games, had 19 tabs open at one time and nothing happened. Of course this is speculation its NF.

Comp specs

GeForce GTX 960
I5 core 6600 3.3 ghz
16gig ram
win 10 pro
asus 7.1 sound card
maximus VIII Hero Aplha Board
850rm supply
4tb HDD
256gig SSD
Blue Ray 16x player
Corsair liquid cooling

Solution
This is just my opinion, but I probably see 20 or more threads per week where GFE causes nothing but troubles. I recommend not using it at all unless there is a feature it has that you absolutely cannot do without. For sure don't use it simply for the driver updates as it's very inefficient at it and more often than not screws the pooch.

I always recommend running the DDU EVERY time you change to a new driver version, and to do it manually by downloading the latest driver from the Nvidia website, running the DDU and then installing the driver once it has completed.

Always allow the safe mode reboot when DDU asks.

Latest driver for your card is here:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/99512/en-us

DDU is here...
What browser are you using? Is it the latest version/up to date?

Have you tried another browser or the Netflix browser/app?

I started having issues with Netflix in Windows 10 a few months ago and had to switch browsers. Problem came back and I had to do a FULL clean install of Windows 10 and the problem resolved itself.

Also, if you've had more than one version of driver for your 960 installed, and have NOT used the DDU (Display driver uninstaller from Wagnard tools) then I'd also highly recommend that you do so.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

You might also try turning off hardware acceleration in your browser settings. I've seen that cause problems with all kinds of video on some machines and Netflix is no exception. If turning off hardware acceleration does NOT help, then turn it right back on because you're better off with it on if you can run that way.

Additionally, Netflix is just buggy to begin with. I've seen and had a variety of unrelated problems with their streams that sometimes go away on their own and other times seem to be directly related to particular streams but not others. Also, if you have any cheap or quirky bluetooth adapters in use, they can affect Netflix as well in some cases.

Alex_182

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Currently the browser im using is Chrome. Before i tore into gaming and video's i made sure everything was up to date and i stay away from Beta downloads for drivers as they tend to be 50/50 faulty lol. As for the drivers for the 960 i only installed the one from the disk initially then got GeForce experience and got the updates needed/required. I will do the DDU Just to make sure though. Will Respond if or if not it works. As for Hardware acceleration i just turned it off so we shall see how that goes. Appreciate the help and tips.

This is just my opinion, but I probably see 20 or more threads per week where GFE causes nothing but troubles. I recommend not using it at all unless there is a feature it has that you absolutely cannot do without. For sure don't use it simply for the driver updates as it's very inefficient at it and more often than not screws the pooch.

I always recommend running the DDU EVERY time you change to a new driver version, and to do it manually by downloading the latest driver from the Nvidia website, running the DDU and then installing the driver once it has completed.

Always allow the safe mode reboot when DDU asks.

Latest driver for your card is here:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/99512/en-us

DDU is here:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,20.html

Solution

Alex_182

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Really. Well then GFE is offically Banned from my system. I just downloaded both the DDU and the driver. I will run the DDU right after i post this and then install the latest update for my card. As for the Acceleration i dont see myself using that often enough as is so ill leave it down and turn it on as needed.

Everything video or game related in your browser benefits from hardware acceleration, so if it fixes the problem, then it's fine to turn it off, but if it is NOT the problem, I'd leave it enabled. Totally up to you though. Some tasks simply take longer and won't work as well without acceleration enabled, but most things still work fine.