Question Crashing when running low spec games

varkidnapper88

Commendable
Jul 13, 2019
Ever since I upgraded my CPU from Ryzen 5 1400 to Ryzen 5 1600 and added another 8gb ram stick, my computer started to crash randomly on both high spec and low spec games, which caught me off guard. I tried a test with my friends playing Roblox, and even then I crashed mid-game. I haven't cleaned the inside of my computer for a while, but does dust really cause all this? Could it be that I need to update any drivers? Perhaps BIOS? I recall vividly updating my BIOS before changing my CPU so that my motherboard could support it. Is there something I'm missing to do?

Ever since I upgraded my CPU from Ryzen 5 1400 to Ryzen 5 1600 and added another 8gb ram stick, my computer started to crash randomly on both high spec and low spec games, which caught me off guard. I tried a test with my friends playing Roblox, and even then I crashed mid-game. I haven't cleaned the inside of my computer for a while, but does dust really cause all this? Could it be that I need to update any drivers? Perhaps BIOS? I recall vividly updating my BIOS before changing my CPU so that my motherboard could support it. Is there something I'm missing to do?
Download either the installer or portable version of CPU-Z and run it. Under the Memory tab, list whether it is running dual or single channel mode, DRAM frequency and all the timings under FSB: DRAM. From the SPD tab, list the memory module brand and part number for both modules. Also make sure you check all memory slots in the drop down box, because people sometimes come back and say nothing is listed.

varkidnapper88

Commendable
Jul 13, 2019
Download either the installer or portable version of CPU-Z and run it. Under the Memory tab, list whether it is running dual or single channel mode, DRAM frequency and all the timings under FSB: DRAM. From the SPD tab, list the memory module brand and part number for both modules. Also make sure you check all memory slots in the drop down box, because people sometimes come back and say nothing is listed.

It's in Dual-channel mode. The DRAM freq. is 1197.1 MHz. In FSB: DRAM, it says 1:12. For CAS Latency, RAS to CAS Delay, and RAS Precharge, it's all 17 clocks. For Cycle Time, it's 39 clocks. For Bank Cycle Time, its 56 clocks. Command Rate is 1T. Both RAM sticks are Samsung, but one is M378A1K43BB2-CRC and the other is M378A1K43CB2-CRC.

It's in Dual-channel mode. The DRAM freq. is 1197.1 MHz. In FSB: DRAM, it says 1:12. For CAS Latency, RAS to CAS Delay, and RAS Precharge, it's all 17 clocks. For Cycle Time, it's 39 clocks. For Bank Cycle Time, its 56 clocks. Command Rate is 1T. Both RAM sticks are Samsung, but one is M378A1K43BB2-CRC and the other is M378A1K43CB2-CRC.
What is the motherboard model? Have you checked for a newer bios?

The motherboard model is 07PR60. Its Dell btw, and yes, I've checked for a newer bios, but updated it before switching my CPU from R5 1400 to R5 1600 recently. Currently, I cannot find any newer bios.
Have you checked the CPU temperature before and after playing games? It might also be an issue with not enough power to the CPU.

Edit - As well as not being enough power to the entire system depending on the PSU dell put in there.

Edit 2 - I should say temperature before and during game play.

Edit 3 - Silly me forgot you already listed CPU temperatures. So it might possibly be an issue with not enough power for the CPU and whatever video card you are using. Also, if you take a memory module out does the system still crash? Have you tried putting the old CPU back in?

Last edited:

varkidnapper88

Commendable
Jul 13, 2019
Have you checked the CPU temperature before and after playing games? It might also be an issue with not enough power to the CPU.

Edit - As well as not being enough power to the entire system depending on the PSU dell put in there.

Edit 2 - I should say temperature before and during game play.

Edit 3 - Silly me forgot you already listed CPU temperatures. So it might possibly be an issue with not enough power for the CPU and whatever video card you are using. Also, if you take a memory module out does the system still crash? Have you tried putting the old CPU back in?

Looking at it now, I think it might just be a PSU problem. I've been told by many to switch it out. I also don't see how memory may cause this. I played the same games with my older cpu and with 8 gb less of RAM and barely crashed. I also barely crash as it is now, but I'm simply confused as to why I am crashing at all, considering I completely upgraded RAM and CPU.

BTW, I gave my old CPU to a friend, so I can't put it back in.

Looking at it now, I think it might just be a PSU problem. I've been told by many to switch it out. I also don't see how memory may cause this. I played the same games with my older cpu and with 8 gb less of RAM and barely crashed. I also barely crash as it is now, but I'm simply confused as to why I am crashing at all, considering I completely upgraded RAM and CPU.

BTW, I gave my old CPU to a friend, so I can't put it back in.
If you did a memory test and found no errors it's likely not a memory issue. Taking out the memory and testing each module and slot individually can help diagnose whether one of the modules is having a problem that the test didn't detect, like compatibility in certain situations.

Another possiblity is you have a loose SATA cable or possibly a broken SATA port. You should disconnect any drives and move the OS drive to a different SATA port. Only connect the drives you need to play your games for testing or try to move a game to the OS drive so you only need one drive connected.