[Crawl] RNG -- kind, but mocking?

: Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.
:
:Asp the Footpad (Naga)
:(Level 6 Stalker)

Note race and class.

:play time: 00:34:37 Number of turns: 4289
:Experience : 6/379
:Strength 12 Dexterity 12 Intelligence 15
:Hit Points : 49 Magic Points : 9
:AC : 9 Evasion : 11 Shield : 0
:GP : 135
:
:You are on level 6.
:You are encumbered.
:You are completely stuffed.

Note this is early in the game yet. One bit of luck was taking out an
ogre to go straight from 3rd to 5th level. I'm finally remembering to
use my poison spit as a naga, which helps.

: Inventory:
:Hand weapons
: a - a +1,+3 dagger
: A - an uncursed sabre (weapon)
: W - an uncursed dwarven vampiric dagger

Heavily edited. It's the "Armour" listing that is noteworthy.

:Armour
: c - a +0 cloak
: h - a gold dragon armour
: x - a +0 naga barding (worn)
: F - a +0 orcish cloak (worn)
: O - a cursed +0 robe (worn)
: V - a +0 helmet (worn)

I felt very lucky finding a naga barding right away. Then a helmet, too.
Very nice. Then I found my first ever gold dragon armour and decided I
had to post about it, although it's not exactly useable by a
sneak-and-stab fighter/spell-caster crossbreed.

:Magical devices
: H - a plastic wand
:Comestibles
: e - a bread ration
: u - 2 meat rations
: B - a chunk of rat flesh
: U - a chunk of snake flesh
: Z - an orange
:Scrolls
: j - 6 scrolls of teleportation
: k - 3 scrolls of identify
: p - 3 scrolls of detect curse
: r - 2 scrolls of recharging
: J - a scroll of blinking

Not doing too badly on scrolls, either.

:Jewellery
: N - an uncursed thick brass amulet (around neck)

Gourmand!

: Y - a ring of fire
:potions
: m - a potion of heal wounds
: o - 2 purple potions
: q - a potion of poison
: s - 4 potions of healing
: Q - 2 oily brown potions
:Books
: d - a book of Stalking

: You have 0 experience left.
: Skills:
: + Level 2 Fighting
: + Level 3 Short Blades
: + Level 2 Dodging
: + Level 5 Stealth
: + Level 3 Stabbing
: + Level 2 Spellcasting
: + Level 3 Conjurations
: + Level 1 Enchantments
: + Level 5 Poison Magic

I'm thinking maybe turn off some spell skills, now. I would like to
improve Mephitic Cloud a bit, but I am thinking sneak-and-stab should be
the main emphasis.

:You have 3 spell levels left.
:You know the following spells:
: Your Spells Type Success Level
: b - Sure Blade Enchantment Good 2
: c - Mephitic Cloud Poison/Air/Conjuration Good 3
: s - Sting Poison/Conjuration Very Good 1

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

R Dan Henry .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> Note this is early in the game yet. One bit of luck was taking out an
> ogre to go straight from 3rd to 5th level. I'm finally remembering to
> use my poison spit as a naga, which helps.

I would wear that armour, forget about spells and start a warrior life,
hopefully would survive enough to develop some fighting/weapon/armour
skills. You are not deep in dungeon so with help of spit poison, it would
be relatively easy. That armour is simply too good to pass by, IMO.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:45:31 +0200, in a fit of madness Loonie
<loonie2@tlen.pl> declared:

>R Dan Henry .-- .-. --- - . ---...
>
>> Note this is early in the game yet. One bit of luck was taking out an
>> ogre to go straight from 3rd to 5th level. I'm finally remembering to
>> use my poison spit as a naga, which helps.
>
>I would wear that armour, forget about spells and start a warrior life,
>hopefully would survive enough to develop some fighting/weapon/armour
>skills. You are not deep in dungeon so with help of spit poison, it would
>be relatively easy. That armour is simply too good to pass by, IMO.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

In article <34hac051rkctj9cfg64a8lkdcn548frfoe@4ax.com>,
R Dan Henry <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:45:31 +0200, in a fit of madness Loonie
><loonie2@tlen.pl> declared:
>
>>R Dan Henry .-- .-. --- - . ---...
>>
>>> Note this is early in the game yet. One bit of luck was taking out an
>>> ogre to go straight from 3rd to 5th level. I'm finally remembering to
>>> use my poison spit as a naga, which helps.
>>
>>I would wear that armour, forget about spells and start a warrior life,
>>hopefully would survive enough to develop some fighting/weapon/armour
>>skills. You are not deep in dungeon so with help of spit poison, it would
>>be relatively easy. That armour is simply too good to pass by, IMO.
>
>Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Yeah, it's a great way to commit suicide. Cuddle the armour, give it a
great big kiss, toss it in a corner and continue on your way. With the
massive EV penalty other problems, you're going to get pounded if you
wear it and try to fight with little skill.

--
Mark Mackey
The Association for the Advancement of Dungeon Crawling

"R Dan Henry" <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote in message

[Gold Dragon Armor]

> Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Found one early once. Actually, pretty exciting, so I remember it: went
down to DL2 or 3, and as soon as I went down Sigmund zapped a wand of fire
at me and missed, and another unique zapped a wand of cold that hit me and
nearly killed me. Went back upstairs, healed, and went down a different
stairwell to pass the level. And right next to that staircase was a hide;
put it on, read all my scrolls, and got an armor. Went back upstairs,
found the offending parties, and killed them with ease, getting me early on
a great armor and two nice wands.

That said, it was a bitch-and-half getting my armor skill up, and without
any skill (I had started as something without any skill but a fighter-type,
and I know I was using a weapon) it was getting in the way of my attacks an
awful lot. I think I died standing in place letting things hit me. So
killed by stupidity, and it probably _is_ too good to pass up, but only if
you've got a strong stomach for tedium.

I'd probably opt for a lighter armor until your armor skill's decent, and
then switch if you haven't found something else by then. But if you die in
the meantime, you'll be tortured by dreams of what might have been... So
really, this is a no-win situation.

--
--Jeremey

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Mark Mackey .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>>>I would wear that armour, forget about spells and start a warrior life,
>>>hopefully would survive enough to develop some fighting/weapon/armour
>>>skills. You are not deep in dungeon so with help of spit poison, it would
>>>be relatively easy. That armour is simply too good to pass by, IMO.
>>Anyone else have an opinion on this?
> Yeah, it's a great way to commit suicide. Cuddle the armour, give it a
> great big kiss, toss it in a corner and continue on your way. With the
> massive EV penalty other problems, you're going to get pounded if you
> wear it and try to fight with little skill.

I would normally perhaps say the same, but it's very early in the game
(especially with the off-level Ogre). Armor will almost completely protect
from weak monsters, average ones are to beat, strong (say Ogres) could pose
a problem, but hopefully they are not many of them at the stage and they
could be killed with poison. Problem will be ToHit penalty, but well, to
win you have to place a bet. Another problem is the low running away speed,
anyway I'd try out how it works in the armour, at least until the supply of
teleport scrolls would vanish. Stats are somewhat average, not very good
for a fighter. Anyway my opinion is to experiment rather than let the
opportunity pass by.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------
Respondit Pilatus quod scripsi scripsi.
http://www.crawl.iconrate.net

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 12:44:14 GMT, in a fit of madness "Jeremey Wilson"
<noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> declared:

>"R Dan Henry" <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote in message
>
>[Gold Dragon Armor]
>
>> Anyone else have an opinion on this?

>I'd probably opt for a lighter armor until your armor skill's decent, and
>then switch if you haven't found something else by then. But if you die in
>the meantime, you'll be tortured by dreams of what might have been... So
>really, this is a no-win situation.

I skipped it. Eventually died to (pick one of: got too curious about a
lava snake, played too long a session and got careless). Still, he made
the #4 place on my high score list. And I think I'm a much better Naga
player than I was before.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com