[Crawl] YAVP, naga conjurer

It's been a while since the last time, but here is my
7th victory. A naga, which is remarkable for me, because
I always thought nagas were hard. On the other hand, it's
a conjurer, which is probably the easiest class overall.

Fire Storm and Crystal Spear ruled the late game, as is
typical for this kind of character. Five runes, the
standard three plus Slime Pit and Cocytus.

Almost got killed once. There was an orange statue guarding
the stairs to the Vaults in a closed secret room. So I
decided to quaff a potion of speed and teleport straight in
the room. "I'll just blast it with this wand of
disintegration."

Just one problem: As I landed in the room I realized that
there were a dozen monsters between me and the statue. Also
I was immediately confused. There I was, quaffing healing
potions and getting confused and int drained constantly. I
had few options left and quaffed a potion of invisibility.
I don't know if it was the reason, but I did get an
unconfused turn right after that. So I managed to teleport
away from the room.

Whew, that was close. A look at my stats: Int: 1/23. A
quick dash to the nearest potion of restore ability a few
levels up and another deep breath. The statue got promptly
disintegrated later.

Just one unintentional trip to the Abyss, but I was already
buff enough to easily survive. I didn't want to risk getting
my first naga victory so no other Hells than Cocytus, no
Pandemonium and no Tomb visits this time.

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Nacho the Annihilator

Race : Naga Res.Fire : + . . See Invis. : +
Class : Conjurer Res.Cold : + . . Warding : .
Worship : Vehumet Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : +
Level : 27 Res.Poison: + Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 1502614 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .

Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 0 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: +
Gold : 3594 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
// Plenty of shops but nothing I needed in any of them anymore.

HP : 161
MP : 43/44
Str : 14 Weapon : staff of conjuration
Int : 35 Armour : +6 robe (resist)
Dex : 12 Shield :
AC : 25 Helmet : +2 helmet (int)
Evasion : 12 Cloak : +2 elf cloak (darkness)
Shield : 0 Gloves : +2 pair of gloves (str)
Boots :
Play time : 23:49:52 Amulet : amulet of conservation
Turns : 173506 Ring : ring of teleport control
Ring : +4 ring of intelligence
// No naga bardings in the game. Just wore the ring of
// teleport control for the way up.

You escaped.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
You are full.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
b - the +7,+4 dagger of Starshine (633 gold)
It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
It affects your dexterity (+1).
// Cutting tool.

c - a +9,+8 quarterstaff of crushing (1505 gold)
// Not much used.

Armour
A - a +6 robe of resistance (worn) (791 gold)
C - a +2 elven cloak of darkness (worn) (246 gold)
D - a +2 pair of gloves of strength (worn) (201 gold)
H - a +2 helmet of intelligence (worn) (272 gold)
Magical devices
d - a wand of teleportation (6) (66 gold)
e - a wand of disintegration (3) (87 gold)
k - a wand of cold (7) (108 gold)
m - a wand of teleportation (4) (54 gold)
o - a wand of invisibility (4) (69 gold)
p - a wand of healing (6) (75 gold)
u - a wand of lightning (6) (150 gold)
E - a wand of digging (12) (102 gold)
J - a wand of cold (8) (117 gold)
M - a wand of draining (1) (72 gold)
Comestibles
h - 2 meat rations (80 gold)
i - 2 bread rations (80 gold)
Scrolls
f - a scroll of magic mapping (35 gold)
n - 5 scrolls of identify (100 gold)
// I was slithering in identify scrolls in this game. Had
// probably 15 of them stashed.

s - 3 scrolls of recharging (150 gold)
z - 6 scrolls of remove curse (180 gold)
G - a scroll of summoning (95 gold)
W - 3 scrolls of blinking (90 gold)
Jewellery
g - an amulet of conservation (around neck) (175 gold)
l - a +4 ring of intelligence (left hand) (350 gold)
// Quite an early find. Wore it constantly.

q - a cursed ring of fire (364 gold)
r - the ring of Klahesuawuweda (546 gold)
[Ring of fire]
It affects your evasion (+2).
// Had this on from the middle game on.

x - a ring of protection from cold (210 gold)
y - a ring of sustain abilities (175 gold)
I - the amulet of Fomubujyq (280 gold)
[Resist corrosion]

L - a ring of teleport control (right hand) (294 gold)
N - an amulet of warding (210 gold)
P - an amulet of the gourmand (245 gold)
Q - the ring of Space (420 gold)
[Teleportation]
It affects your strength (+2).
It affects your intelligence (+3).
It greatly protects you from cold.

R - an amulet of resist mutation (210 gold)
S - a ring of protection from cold (210 gold)
U - the ring of Defence (525 gold)
[Levitation]
It greatly protects you from fire.
It partially protects you from negative energy.

Z - the ring of the Echidna (1015 gold)
[Slaying]
It affects your accuracy (+2).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+1).
It insulates you from electricity.
It protects you from poison.
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It protects you from magic.

Potions
v - 4 potions of speed (100 gold)
F - 10 potions of heal wounds (300 gold)
O - 3 potions of healing (60 gold)
Magical staves
a - a staff of conjuration (weapon) (250 gold)
Orbs of Power
K - the Orb of Zot (250000 gold)
Miscellaneous
j - an icy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
t - a slimy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
w - the horn of Geryon (5000 gold)
V - a silver rune of Zot (10000 gold)
X - a decaying rune of Zot (10000 gold)
Y - a serpentine rune of Zot (10000 gold)

You have 16 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 3 Fighting
+ Level 1 Short Blades
+ Level 2 Staves
+ Level 4 Armour
+ Level 4 Dodging
+ Level 13 Stealth
// It was nice to be able to get in range for a bolt of
// magma before the opponents woke up.

+ Level 9 Traps & Doors
+ Level 4 Unarmed Combat
+ Level 17 Spellcasting
* Level 27 Conjurations
+ Level 1 Transmigration
+ Level 4 Divinations
+ Level 20 Fire Magic
+ Level 18 Earth Magic
+ Level 6 Invocations
+ Level 9 Evocations

You cannot memorise any spells.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success Level
a - Magic Dart Conjuration Perfect 1
b - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Perfect 2
c - Stone Arrow Earth/Conjuration Perfect 3
d - Conjure Flame Fire/Conjuration Perfect 3
// Used Conjure Flame probably once...

e - Bolt of Magma Fire/Earth/Conjuration Perfect 5
f - Fireball Fire/Conjuration Perfect 6
g - Bolt of Iron Earth/Conjuration Perfect 6
h - Fire Storm Fire/Conjuration Great 9
i - Lehudib's Crystal Spear Earth/Conjuration Excellent 8
j - Detect Creatures Divination Excellent 2
k - Tomb of Doroklohe Earth/Conjuration Perfect 7
// Never used this! I meant to, but there was no need.

l - Dig Earth/Transmigration Excellent 4
m - Magic Mapping Earth/Divination Excellent 4
// Memorized Magic Mapping on Zot:5 just to counter the effects
// of an amnesia trap I had to step on constantly.

Last Messages

Are you sure you want to leave the Dungeon?
[Y]es or [N]o only, please.
Are you sure you want to leave the Dungeon?
You have escaped!

##########
####### #........#
.......#####........#
............>.......#
.......#............#
.........###........#
..........)#.....@..#
.........#.#........#
.........#.####.#####
.........#....#.#
..#####..####.#.#
[..###.......#.###
..#.....#######...######
..#######..............#
.......................#

Vanquished Creatures
// Skip the uninteresting bits.

// The uniques:
Antaeus (Coc:7)
Boris (Vault:8)
Geryon (Hell)
Margery (Crypt:5)
Adolf (Crypt:5)
Xtahua (D:24)
Norris (Vault:7)
Rupert (D:23)
Wayne (D:24)
Frances (Snake:3)
Francis (Vault:7)
Louise (Swamp:3)
Jozef (Vault:1)
Norbert (Vault:4)
Erica (Vault:1)
Josephine (Swamp:1)
Harold (Swamp:1)
Snorg (Vault:1)
Joseph (Elf:5)
Erolcha (D:11)
Urug (D:14)
Psyche (D:14)
Donald (D:11)
Blork the orc (D:10)

// The tough guys:
2 ancient liches (Zot:5)
A Killer Klown (Zot:5)
An electric golem (Zot:5)
7 golden dragons
15 storm dragons
7 Ice Fiends
12 tentacled monstrosities
// No probems, Crystal Spear worked well.
// No orb of fire...

// The singles:
A royal jelly (Slime:6)
A quicksilver dragon (Vault:8)
An orc warlord (Orc:3)
An Executioner (D:19)
An iron dragon (Vault:8)
A vapour (Swamp:3)
An orc high priest (Vault:7)
An iron golem (Vault:6)
A soul eater (D:23)
A shadow wraith (Crypt:3)
A giant orange brain (Slime:5)
A guardian naga (D:9)
A redback (D:22)
A tormentor (Coc:6)
A grizzly bear (Lair:8)
A large abomination (Abyss)
A water elemental (Zot:2)
A hairy devil (Coc:1)
A wyvern (Lair:10)
A red devil (Elf:7)
A brain worm (D:15)
A kobold demonologist (D:18)
A lemure (Abyss)
A manes (Abyss)
A butterfly (Swamp:5)

// The three digit club:
114 slime creatures
111 ugly things
269 killer bees
230 fire vortices
195 orcs

3984 creatures vanquished.

I'm glad I got a Naga victory under my belt. I wonder
what will be next...

-Jukka
--
Jukka Kuusisto

Jukka Kuusisto wrote:
> It's been a while since the last time, but here is my
> 7th victory. A naga, which is remarkable for me, because
> I always thought nagas were hard. On the other hand, it's
I really wanted to do Naga one time. Have to select even more one rare
played combo...

> a conjurer, which is probably the easiest class overall.
Having won as Transmuter despite being really lame, I doubt that.

Conjurer, yes, is universal - once starting race have fair magic
aptitudes, you can be sure you can make a descent conjurer.

> Fire Storm and Crystal Spear ruled the late game, as is
> typical for this kind of character. Five runes, the
> standard three plus Slime Pit and Cocytus.
Almoas as mine one.

> Almost got killed once. There was an orange statue guarding
> the stairs to the Vaults in a closed secret room. So I
> decided to quaff a potion of speed and teleport straight in
> the room. "I'll just blast it with this wand of
> disintegration."
Oh yeah, and I once had 1 hp left and ~3 yaktaurs on my tail.

And I've not found a single /oHealing, /oHaste or /oDisintergration.

> Just one unintentional trip to the Abyss, but I was already
> buff enough to easily survive. I didn't want to risk getting
> my first naga victory so no other Hells than Cocytus, no
> Pandemonium and no Tomb visits this time.
Who did banish you?

> Race : Naga Res.Fire : + . . See Invis. : +
> Class : Conjurer Res.Cold : + . . Warding : .
> Worship : Vehumet Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : +
> Level : 27 Res.Poison: + Res.Corr. : .
> Exp : 1502614 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Got to really try Travel patch. This is much more clean.
You've got 100000 xps more than me! Wonder, where.

> Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
> Spls.Left : 0 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: +
> Gold : 3594 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
> Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
> // Plenty of shops but nothing I needed in any of them anymore.

> You have 16 experience left.
>
> Skills:
> + Level 3 Fighting
> + Level 1 Short Blades
> + Level 2 Staves
> + Level 4 Armour
> + Level 4 Dodging
> + Level 13 Stealth
> // It was nice to be able to get in range for a bolt of
> // magma before the opponents woke up.
Yes, and naga have got best aptitude for that.
By the way, are www.eleves.ens.fr's spoilers unmaintained?

> You cannot memorise any spells.
> You know the following spells:
> Your Spells Type Success Level
> a - Magic Dart Conjuration Perfect 1
> b - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Perfect 2
> c - Stone Arrow Earth/Conjuration Perfect 3
> d - Conjure Flame Fire/Conjuration Perfect 3
> // Used Conjure Flame probably once...
> e - Bolt of Magma Fire/Earth/Conjuration Perfect 5
> f - Fireball Fire/Conjuration Perfect 6
> g - Bolt of Iron Earth/Conjuration Perfect 6
> h - Fire Storm Fire/Conjuration Great 9
> i - Lehudib's Crystal Spear Earth/Conjuration Excellent 8
> j - Detect Creatures Divination Excellent 2
> k - Tomb of Doroklohe Earth/Conjuration Perfect 7
> // Never used this! I meant to, but there was no need.
> l - Dig Earth/Transmigration Excellent 4
> m - Magic Mapping Earth/Divination Excellent 4
> // Memorized Magic Mapping on Zot:5 just to counter the effects
> // of an amnesia trap I had to step on constantly.
Pretty dull set, no anything except bashing, crushing, and otherwise
destroying. But powerful, I guess.

> Last Messages
> Are you sure you want to leave the Dungeon?
> [Y]es or [N]o only, please.
> Are you sure you want to leave the Dungeon?
> You have escaped!
Congratulations!

"Ilyak" <ilya.kasnacheev@gmail.com> writes:

>Jukka Kuusisto wrote:

>Conjurer, yes, is universal - once starting race have fair magic
>aptitudes, you can be sure you can make a descent conjurer.

I've won with a hill orc conjurer too :)

>> Just one unintentional trip to the Abyss, but I was already
>> buff enough to easily survive.
>Who did banish you?

It must have been a Zot trap.

>Got to really try Travel patch. This is much more clean.

Stash tracking is the most important feature of the patch in my opinion.

>By the way, are www.eleves.ens.fr's spoilers unmaintained?

No idea.

>> a - Magic Dart Conjuration Perfect 1
>> b - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Perfect 2
>> c - Stone Arrow Earth/Conjuration Perfect 3
>> d - Conjure Flame Fire/Conjuration Perfect 3
>> // Used Conjure Flame probably once...
>> e - Bolt of Magma Fire/Earth/Conjuration Perfect 5
>> f - Fireball Fire/Conjuration Perfect 6
>> g - Bolt of Iron Earth/Conjuration Perfect 6
>> h - Fire Storm Fire/Conjuration Great 9
>> i - Lehudib's Crystal Spear Earth/Conjuration Excellent 8
>> j - Detect Creatures Divination Excellent 2
>> k - Tomb of Doroklohe Earth/Conjuration Perfect 7
>> // Never used this! I meant to, but there was no need.
>> l - Dig Earth/Transmigration Excellent 4
>> m - Magic Mapping Earth/Divination Excellent 4
>> // Memorized Magic Mapping on Zot:5 just to counter the effects
>> // of an amnesia trap I had to step on constantly.
>Pretty dull set, no anything except bashing, crushing, and otherwise
>destroying. But powerful, I guess.

That's the standard way of playing a fire-earth based conjurer for me.
First the starting book, then Fire Storm and Crystal Spear. Then Detect
Creatures and the rest is just not so important.

-Jukka
--
Jukka Kuusisto

TRENDING THREADS