Cray's New Supercomputer XC30 Delivers 66 TFlops/Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuff like this really makes me think of the old "super computers". What we once thought to be incredibly powerful and Bad@$$ is now in everyone's phone. We've come so far seems just like yesterday blah blah. I want 2016s computer now!

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Efficiency is down the drain.

The Titan supercomputer (a Cray XK7 system) at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory is currently the world's fastest supercomputer at 17.59 PFlops, consuming roughly 9 MW.
The IBM Sequoia (a Blue Gene/Q system) is the second fastest supercomputer at 16.32 PFlops, consuming 7.9 MW.

The XC30 delivers 66 TFlops at 88 KW per cabinet. To beat the current best, it would take 273 cabinets to push a little over 18 PFlops using 24 MW. Compared to Sequoia, you only get approximately 1.7 more PFlops while consuming an extra 16 MW!
For perspective, 16 MW is enough to power TWO more IBM Sequoias!

EDIT: I did misread the Titan power draw figure (it's 9 MW, not 20 MW), but I believe the math for the XC30 power draw scaled to 18 PFlops is correct, therefore not very energy efficient compared to alternatives like Blue Gene/Q.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Those 66TFlops/cabinet are CPU cores only.
Both Titan and Sequoia use GPU's to reach their numbers... if XC30 will get the Xeon Phi upgrade it's speed per cabinet will increase tremendously and beat the others easily.

GPUs however while having enormous floating point power, they can only process some kind of jobs, so not all supercomputer tasks can be run on them.

dgingeri

Distinguished
We would probably have gotten that in about 10 years on our desktops, if the recent US election hadn't doomed the world economy to drop us back to the bronze age in less than 5 years. Welcome to the tyranny of the stupid and lazy.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
TITAN > XC30. Titan, powered by AMD CPU's, is the world's fastest supercomputer.
With 299,000 AMD x86 Cores, it's got 17.59 PFlops of processing power.
The new champion Titan contains almost 19,000 processing nodes and 710 terabytes of memory.
In addition to a 16-core AMD CPU, each node contains a GPU accelerator.

I wonder if Volvo will sue Cray for using its name (XC30)?

The Cray doesn't play games, and instead is for uses like tracking satellite and 'space junk' trajectories -- all of them, and an assortment of scientific number crunching and simulations.

"The first six XC30 machines will go to the Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS) in Lugano, the Pawsey Centre in Perth, Australia, the Finnish IT Center for Science (CSC), the US Department of Energy’s National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center (NERSC) in Berkeley, Japan’s Academic Center for Computing and Media Studies (ACCMS) at Kyoto Universit, and the University of Stuttgart’s High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart (HLRS) in Germany."

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]TITAN > XC30. Titan, powered by AMD CPU's, is the world's fastest supercomputer. With 299,000 AMD x86 Cores, it's got 17.59 PFlops of processing power. The new champion Titan contains almost 19,000 processing nodes and 710 terabytes of memory. In addition to a 16-core AMD CPU, each node contains a GPU accelerator.[/citation]
Yes... Titan does use Opteron processors, but that's not the primary source of its computing power. Roughly 90% of its performance, as measured by LINPACK, comes from its Tesla K20X coprocessors.

And I'm sure XC30 could be configured to outperform Titan, it's powered by inherently higher performing processors.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]I don't think this is a step in the right direction.The Titan supercomputer (a Cray XK7 system) at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory is currently the world's fastest supercomputer at 17.59 PFlops, consuming roughly 20 MW. IBM Sequoia is the second fastest supercomputer at 16.32 PFlops, consuming 7.9 MW (Much more efficient imo.)[/citation]
I'm not sure where you got the 20MW figure from, but the last time I checked Titan drew 8.21MW at its 17.59 PFLOPS peak.

G

That thing will be a beast when you add Xeon Phi. I would crush TITAN when you add Xeon Phi. Xeon Phi supposedly has a very simple programming interface and takes a much smaller effort to build programs to utilize it's power.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
My overclocked i7 920 @ 3.66GHz has less than 0.0001% performance (about 59 GLFOPS or 0.059 TFLOPS) compared to each XC30 cabinet!

I wonder if at any point there will be something we will use as "Can it play crysis". I mean, its 2012, almost 2013, and ppl still use that quote.

On the Supercomputer thou, Its a monster, but little use for users really.
I am still waiting for the oment someone like Intel will launch a Phi for consumers to run games at 200 AA and god knows what else.
Hell, i know id gather cash to get a 2000 Euro GPU if i could have that power. But we get only 1k Euro cards that are basicly 680 Nvidias with watercooling....

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Cats_Paw[/nom]I wonder if at any point there will be something we will use as "Can it play crysis". I mean, its 2012, almost 2013, and ppl still use that quote.On the Supercomputer thou, Its a monster, but little use for users really.I am still waiting for the oment someone like Intel will launch a Phi for consumers to run games at 200 AA and god knows what else.Hell, i know id gather cash to get a 2000 Euro GPU if i could have that power. But we get only 1k Euro cards that are basicly 680 Nvidias with watercooling....[/citation]
what's an EURO????

Status
Not open for further replies.