Crazy Memory Prices

G

What's up with all these memory prices, that are dropping faster than Intel's popularity? Is the upcoming DDR causing it, or perhaps a surplus with the slowing systems sales? The big question is whether to buy now, invest a little and sell later, or wait to see if the prices fall, or just wait on DDR. Any thoughts?

G

I have those EXACT same questions. If DDR has only a
10-20% premium over regular sdram it cant possibly be the reason for the lower prices. There must be a huge over-supply right now.
I just bought a case for my new computer and was planing on DDR solution. But at these prices a gig of ram is possible with regular SDRAM. (I use 3D Studio Max rev 3)

Man this is a wonderfull moment for us. Just as long as the prices don't shoot up to 400$ for a 256MB stick before I buy. That possibilty is keeping me on the alert. I check RAM prices daily .
Also , I am wondering if current athlons are compatible with DDR mobo's. I don't think they are. DDR has a faster FSB. I think the CPU's need 266 FSB interface capability.

Magus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Memory tends to vary based soley on supply. More so than processors, which I think rely more on their performance relative to other processors. Memory doesn't follow the same rules other computer components follow. Like processors double in speed ever year or so. I've had 128mb of ram for over a year now, and I haven't had a reason to go higher than that. It just isn't very often a person upgrades their RAM, at least from what I can tell.

G

It's terribly unwise, because upgrading RAM can be one of the chipest and easiest ways to speed-up you computer.

Azrael

G

Hey!
Yah, I check pricing trends almost daily. I'm in Toronto Canada, and pricing for 128(133type) has dropped 50 bucks in the last month.

I think it is due to the drop in sales because of the ramp up to DDR.

We might even see DDR being priced lower the sdram for a while when it becomes available. My prediction is more wishfull thinking.

Take care :>)

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
According to one of Tom's news, the fall of these prices is the oversupply of DRAMs which is caused by the prediction of short supply of DRAMs early this year. :smile:

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>member</b>!

G

If there was ever a time for a quick memory upgrade nows the time! (DUH) :)
If got a quick question here.
SOme sites state that the ram being sold is not compatable with Athlon based systems. Can anyone tell me what the reason for that is? I do believe there was a review on it a while back, but I can't recall where.

Thanks!

The Jolly Wizened Oaf!