[SOLVED] Crazy video output problem. please help!

swineadam

Commendable
Jun 21, 2018
i am having an extremely strange video output problem with my PC.

i simply walked away to use the toilet and come back to a blank screen.

the system itself outright refuse to put out video.

i have...
z370 pro4 motherboard
intel i7 8700k
gtx 1070 ti
16GB ram
i don't remember what the PSU is

ANYHOW...

i have already tried...
different output ports on the graphics card
different cables
different displays
removing the graphics card and using the iGPU

when was using the card, i can look in device manager and it is there. Windows didn't say anything was wrong with it.

i know the iGPU is working, but not displaying video. in order to get this to work i had to remove the card and reset bios by removing the battery. the iGPU must be working, because now i only have 15.7GB RAM.

it is also not an issue with Windows 10, because i don't get video output at boot either. to double check this, i removed the system drive where Windows 10 is installed.

this doesn't make any sense at all!

what in the world could cause this? i need help!

~

P.S. i am only able to currently use my PC because of Steam Link streaming to the TV.

Last edited:
Solution
OKAY!

i managed to find a local computer store, the had an exact model replacement for my motherboard. they sold it to me and installed for a total of $150.

i don't k now what could have possibly been wrong with the motherboard, but all is fixed now.

could be worse i suppose... this exact model cost much more on the internet. and i didn't have to reinstall any drivers, or Windows.

the person at the computer shop also couldn't figure out what is wrong with the motherboard. but they did offer to change out the motherboard and test it for free. they were very generous about this, considering the machine has a closed loop water cooler on the CPU. i was dreading having to remove that myself! what a relief!

~

thank you everyone who was...
Don't have to remove the PSU from the tower. Just check the sticker information on it and give us the model.

"GPU appears to work fine". Unless you test it in another system and it shows a signal you can't possibly know if it's good. A GPU can power on and the fan can turn but it can still be dead.

Reactions: swineadam

swineadam

Commendable
Jun 21, 2018
Shut off the system and psu. Remove 1070 Ti and connect the monitor to the MB. Do a CMOS reset with the clrcmos header on the MB. It's on the bottom in the middle. Switch on the psu and press the power button on the case.

i have already tried this, but with one difference. i don't have the plastic piece to put on the pins, because the computer didn't come with it. only thing i did different here was remove the battery for a minute. i can tell iGPU is detected and working. it shows up in the device manager and i have 15.7GB RAM instead of the usual 16GB.

Don't have to remove the PSU from the tower. Just check the sticker information on it and give us the model.

"GPU appears to work fine". Unless you test it in another system and it shows a signal you can't possibly know if it's good. A GPU can power on and the fan can turn but it can still be dead.

the PSU is completely concealed where it is installed at. sadly, i don't have another machine to test the card in, but the card doesn't seem to be the issue. unless... both the card and iGPU suffered the same exact fatality.

~

is there something about the motherboard that could be causing this issue?

Last edited:

swineadam

Commendable
Jun 21, 2018
okay! so the graphics card is indeed working! i can tell this by using msi kombustor, or playing any game. graphics works fine. clear difference in FPS from the iGPU and card.

i just don't understand this... what is happening? someone must know something they can say about it. it doesn't make sense... i am going to cry now.

swineadam

Commendable
Jun 21, 2018
okay... after much struggle to figure this out, i got the PSU out.

Thermaltake Smart 600W

again, the graphics is working and playing games. i just can't get any video out of any port with any cable or any display used. i can't get any video, or sound, from the iGPU or card.

it doesn't make sense!

only thing i can think of is to buy a new motherboard. and i just got done re-flashing the bios too, so it's not that.

could someone recommend a suitable replacement motherboard for this?

the one i am looking at > https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Z390-Motherboard-LGA1151-Gigabit/dp/B07HCY7K9L/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=motherboard+socket+1151&qid=1616805462&sr=8-4&th=1

somebody please help me :( i don't know what to do :( i am seriously going back and forth between crying and raging... FML

is it even possible that it is the motherboard what is wrong? it still doesn't make sense to me how. i could understand if it were just the PCI-E slot or something, but the same issue happens with the iGPU too. i just don't get this at all.

anyone? please help :( i really don't have money to blow on a maybe. omfg.

is there anything at all about a motherboard that could cause a system to flatout refuse to output audio/video from BOTH a discrete graphics card and the iGPU?

Last edited:

swineadam

Commendable
Jun 21, 2018
when you said you test different cable and monitor, do you know they work on another system?

they work with my PS3, but i don't have another PC.

it should be mentioned that i do have a displayport to hdmi adapter, and have tested both ports on the monitor with the PS3. my TV hooks up through HDMI and my old monitor hooks up through either DVI or VGA.

in the end my primary display, ViewSonic XG2560, works just fine.

Last edited:

swineadam

Commendable
Jun 21, 2018
OKAY!

i managed to find a local computer store, the had an exact model replacement for my motherboard. they sold it to me and installed for a total of $150.

i don't k now what could have possibly been wrong with the motherboard, but all is fixed now.

could be worse i suppose... this exact model cost much more on the internet. and i didn't have to reinstall any drivers, or Windows.

the person at the computer shop also couldn't figure out what is wrong with the motherboard. but they did offer to change out the motherboard and test it for free. they were very generous about this, considering the machine has a closed loop water cooler on the CPU. i was dreading having to remove that myself! what a relief!

~

thank you everyone who was helping me here. i don't know how i can show my appreciation, but thank you for your efforts. :)

Solution