Question CRC ERROR in Thaiphoon Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamZ1337

Prominent
Jul 3, 2019
Hello :D

Kuc3y77.png

I just downloaded a program called "Thaiphoon Burner" and one detail worried me (Everything is in a video on YouTube).
The detail is "CRC ERR" on the lower left corner and it appears when I read one of my memory sticks.
Is this thing normal or should I do something to fix it?
I read that it can be caused by corrupted SPD but mine seems fine I think.
I would like to add that my PC runs great and I don't have any problems with it.
My RAM is Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz CL15 (overclocked to 3200MHz CL16) and motherboard is ROG B450-F GAMING.
I will be very thankful if someone helps me and sorry if I wrote something wrong but English isn't my primary language.
Big regards :D

AdamZ1337

Prominent
Jul 3, 2019
Seems like I have already corrupted my SPD by using iCUE software and Thaiphoon at the same time :/
Anyone knows how to fix it?
The comparison below is between memory stick with crc ok and with crc error.
One value is different, can I change it without buying a license? :(
Please someone help me
gRcqmvu.png

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For a memory module to support SPD, the JEDECstandards require that certain parameters be in the lower 128 bytes of an EEPROM located on the memory module. These bytes contain timing parameters, manufacturer, serial number and other useful information about the module.

SPD is read only firmware, you aren't going to use programs and corrupt them. A bad EEPROM, catastrophic voltages etc can cause a corruption, but not software.

Pretty much run memtest on a single stick, overnight is good. For all the sticks. Chances are good one of the sticks is bad, or going bad, like the cascade failure with hdds and bad sectors. Just a matter of time.

Reactions: Peachy123
May 16, 2020
SPD is read only firmware, you aren't going to use programs and corrupt them. A bad EEPROM, catastrophic voltages etc can cause a corruption, but not software.

Pretty much run memtest on a single stick, overnight is good. For all the sticks. Chances are good one of the sticks is bad, or going bad, like the cascade failure with hdds and bad sectors. Just a matter of time.

I used Thaiphoon Burner and DRAM calculator to OC my RAM timings, but I'm worried that running Thaiphoon Burner with iCue in the background (I don't think I correctly terminated all instances of it) gave me incorrect readings. After OCing the RAM I got the SPD Error in Thaiphoon Burner, as well as noticeably slower performance. I returned all of the RAM timings to auto, but it's still a bit slower and Thaiphoon Burner still recognises an SPD error. I ran the windows memory diagnostic tool and found nothing, and I'll run memtest when I go to bed tonight, but I'm worried! Do you think that sounds likely that I've caused the error?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on what you did with the OC vs how much abuse the ram can take. The software didn't cause any damage, the OC did.

Windows diagnostic is a quickie check, like mom putting a hand on your forehead and saying you don't have a fever, so you don't have the flu. Memtest overnight is going to the doctors and getting tested for the flu. You'll either prove mom right, or be one of those people who can have the flu but not run a fever.

Just applying stock settings in bios isn't always enough. There's multiple hidden settings in every bios that can get changed by changing a different setting. And don't get changed back. Like you adding voltage for OC might add 0.1v to a hidden setting to maintain stability. Resetting to auto won't then lower that hidden setting as it's still more than necessary for stability.

Best bet is to reset the bios entirely. You need to retrain the memory settings. That means clear the cmos and on reboot, go to bios - hit F5 to return to Factory Optimized settings, then F10 to save and exit (make sure you aren't booting from a preset profile).

That'll reset and retrain the memory, memory controller, voltages, hidden settings etc. And remove any and all OC changes.

Then run the Memtest, will take 1 night per stick, + 1 night per multiple sticks, so at minimum of 3x overnight tests. If you really want to be thorough in the tests, use slots A2 first, then B2, eliminate any possibility that it's a motherboard communication issue or physical slot issue.

May 16, 2020
Good luck🍀🤞

Hello Karadjgne!

I've been able to test both sticks, and both came back faultless.

A friend of mine also bought the exact same RAM for his new build, and so we put it in to my machine first to see if Thaiphoon burner still registers a CRC ERROR, and indeed it does!

So, after a CMOS reset, and returning the BIOS to default, I'm still getting this error... I checked the Thaiphoon Burner readings from before I attempted to overclock the RAM and there was no such error beforehand so... What have I done?? I presume that means that I need to change some timings or something? I'm a little bit flummoxed!

The other thing that is strange is that when I attempt to read the ram with Thaiphoon Burner it frequently returns with a report that it doesn't know the manufacturer, as well as a host of other parameters. Only sometimes though... Very odd.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Then it's not the ram. You've verified that with using your buds ram, and it shows as the same error.

That comes down to a couple of things. Either the installation of TB is corrupted, somehow, which could have happened during download or install, could be an error in storage, like a bad sector, could be a bad/weak memory controller, bad slots, faulty mobo, or any combination.

Unfortunately there's little you can actually do with some of that, like verifying your storage, FULLY uninstalling TB (not just a windows uninstall as that always leaves stuff in the registry) and new, fresh dl and install etc. Malware and Antivirus scans, using ccleaner to wipe everything from temp files, reg tool to clean out the registry etc.

If you can keep eliminating possibilities, you'll only have a few probabilities left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS