CRC Error when extracting files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckless2332

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Hi all,

I'm getting repetitive CRC Error everytime that I extract files. They say that it's corrupt... I'm downloading the files in parts, and everytime I extract it says that for every file, so it's not just one of the files that is bad. I have also tried downloading the files from different uploaders and still the same problem everytime. I have been using Winrar and recently tried 7-Zip and got same problem.

I also had done a CHKDSK and it still doesn't work. Spent around 10 hours on this issue so I would appreciate any help.

Reckless2332

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

I'm trying to extract an iso which has mulitple parts. Have tried winrar and 7-zip and still same issue. I have tried mulitple files and it comes up on everyone. My computer is only 3 months old so the Hard Drive can't be bad or anything.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
u mentioned 'different uploaders' so im going to assume you are downloading some kind of torrent file?
have you checked the comments to see if its a legit iso?

if you are not downloading via torrents disregard what i just said.

i would suggest finding a non ziped iso to download.

Reckless2332

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
No torrents, I'm downloading links that are hosted on Netload, Mediafire, etc. The files are working for everyone except me. I honestly don't know what to do know. I have been searching and dealing with this for the entire day now. My HDD can't be bad because it's only a few months old. Extracting the same files works on my Laptop, but I need to do this on my Desktop, though.

G

a few things:
1) 42 views likely means 42 people don't know how to fix it either and are curious as to if the question is getting solved. but i understand your frustration.
2) new hard drives can have problems
3) there could be a million reasons why your getting a flonky CRC on your internet connection via your ethernet cable or router or . . . but not your laptop.

i would suggest since you have it on your laptop then try using a ethernet cable and directly transferring the ISO to your desktop if you do not have a flash drive or can burn a DVD with your laptop.

i am assuming you tried various ways to repair the zip files in 7zip and winrar.

Reckless2332

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

I have a USB. Could I just copy all of the download parts and transfer them to my Laptop, extract it, then copy the extracted file back onto my PC? Do you think that would work?

G

i hope so for the sake of your sanity :)

is the usb large enough to transfer all of them at once? i think its better to avoid doing it in pieces.

Reckless2332

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Alright, well:

Each part is 1GB which seems to be the problem. I can extract smaller files that were 200mb a part, but I can't seem to extract these large files.

So, I guess the problem is that I cannot extract large files.

bhai

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

hi reck...are you using a pair of ram.pls just remove 1 ram and try to extract.may be its help you

JWJW

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

Hey there Reckless2332,

WinRAR has a built-in function that lets you bypass CRC errors. During the normal process, the extracted file is deleted once the error occurs. Right-click the RAR and select "Extract Files..." to open the general options window. Under "Miscellaneous," put a check by "Keep Broken Files." The file saves to the folder you specify, despite the CRC data. Many files will not work using this method if they are too damaged, but some will.

Good luck!

-JW-

shanky246

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hi Reclkless2332,

No need to get Panic!!! You can fix your corrupted RAR file effectively by using reliable RAR repair software. Couple of days ago, when I was stuck under the identical problem and was worried thinking how to fix RAR CRC error? In such a situation this software helped me to repair my corrupted RAR file and retrieve all my data stored in it. Just you need to follow the below links to try the software and fix your corrupted RAR file due to CRC error.

Software link: http://www.rarrepairtool.com/how-to-repair-rar-archive-after-crc-error-on-win-xp.html
Download link: http://www.rarrepairtool.com/download/rarrepairtool.exe

All the best,

Shanky

muzammilFaraz

Honorable
May 21, 2013

Bond009

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
I know this is far too late to help the current guys post but anyone that has this same problem Read this Answer.
:)

I had this same problem with the CRC checks after extracting some files. What happens is when you copy and paste a file or DL a file from the internet/any network and its stored that data is processed through the RAM and is corrupted on the way to being stored on your HDD.

Then when you go to extract the zip file the CRC check doesn't match because the data was already corrupted. This happened with your other data that isn't in a zip file also you just don't know it yet because it didn't have a CRC check.
Until you fix this DO NOT move or copy/paste any data on your hdd.

Cause:
The Cause of the problem is your RAM slot on your motherboard is bad OR your RAM is faulty. (In my case it was a bad MoBo slot closest to the CPU)

Solution:
Use some known good ram and check which slot is bad 1 at a time doing the same extraction process to get the bad CRC check. But keep in mind you will need to copy and paste a working copy of that zip file each time otherwise if you always extract that zip file that is already bad, it will still fail the CRC check even with good ram in a working ram slot because the zip data is already corrupted prior to using working RAM.

JudgeDredds

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014

I have tried this ram solution but still same problems.
My case is downloaded torrent game. The desktop system which is having problem is my XP system with a pair of 1 GB DDR2 Rams.
A lot of new games had been tried and about the same problems. Older games seems OK.
I have tried these CRC problems torrents on another laptop system with Windows 7 starter and they are all OK! I have checked and all of my hardwares and softwares compatibility are all OK. This means that all of these torrents are OK! Corruptions are just excuses from developers!
I have even tested my rams using test softwares and results of both rams are good. I have even bought a new and expensive graphics card and results are exactly the same.
My verdict is the newer games are rushed to develop and quality assurances are very bad with many hidden flaws that the developers are too lazy and "do not care" to solve.

Status
Not open for further replies.