Question Create personal VPN between 2 homes

Jun 17, 2019
Hi,

I live in Singapore and my brother lives in India. In Singapore few of the Indian websites are blocked. I was thinking of a VPN service provider with servers to India but that would cost me few $$ every month.

I have couple of VPN enabled routes. Is it possible to create a private VPN connection between 2 homes instead of subscribing to a VPN provider by placing these routers at both ends? If yes, what would I need? Is there any guide that I can follow to set it up?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am just trying to explore my options here before I invest in a VPN service. Thanks for all your inputs.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can set-up a VPN between the computers easy enough but they only carry traffic between them and not onto/off the web. it's built right into windows but is only a secure connection between the 2 pc's.

to do what you want, you'll need a server on both ends for VPN service. basically you'll have to set-up the hardware yourself that you'd be paying for with a VPN service. honestly for just a single pc, it's more cost effective to just pay for a VPN service.

The simple way would be if the router at the house in india support vpn server. It is actually a fairly common feature in mid to high priced routers. You would load a vpn program on your pc to connect to the remote router. There should be fairly good instructions with any router that supports this feature.

The main thing that may prevent any VPN solution to another house is if the IP address in the house in india is not public. You can check by seeing if the ip on the wan interface of the router matches sites like whatsmyip. Your VPN client on your PC needs to be able to get to the router IP address but it can not do that if it is not a public IP.