Question Create WiFi Network for PTZ Cams Without Computer-Possible?

Jul 24, 2023
I work in live events and sometimes have to run 200+ feet of CAT6 cable. Fun! I was wondering if I can create a wireless network to achieve the following:
Two PTZ Cameras, with specific IP addresses, connect to a POE switch --> Switch connects via CAT6 to a wireless bridge --> WiFi receiver connects to switch at the other end where the camera controller is plugged-in (CAT6) to communicate with cams. This network should be private or password protected.

It seems like it should be possible. Forgive me if it's, "No Duh, of course it is". How can I make this happen? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

kanewolf

Titan
I work in live events and sometimes have to run 200+ feet of CAT6 cable. Fun! I was wondering if I can create a wireless network to achieve the following:
Two PTZ Cameras, with specific IP addresses, connect to a POE switch --> Switch connects via CAT6 to a wireless bridge --> WiFi receiver connects to switch at the other end where the camera controller is plugged-in (CAT6) to communicate with cams. This network should be private or password protected.

It seems like it should be possible. Forgive me if it's, "No Duh, of course it is". How can I make this happen? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
The first question is what are the event organizer's policies for vendor WIFI? You would have to coordinate with the event. For your point to point, I would look at a 60Ghz bridge to avoid interference from standard WIFI.

Jul 24, 2023
The first question is what are the event organizer's policies for vendor WIFI? You would have to coordinate with the event. For your point to point, I would look at a 60Ghz bridge to avoid interference from standard WIFI.
Thanks for you reply. These are shows in theatres, so we're free to create our own network. Would it best to use a wireless bridge at the camera end and a wireless access point at the receiving end?

Jul 24, 2023
A low cost example is the Ubiquiti Loco 5AC. They have to be used in pairs.
What bandwidth is required for these cameras ? Are they 100Mbit wired or gigabit wired ?
Thanks for the recommendation. Since I'm only transmitting camera positioning data, not live video, over the network, very low bandwidth is required. So, I'd buy two of the Ubiquitis and plug them into each switch at both ends?

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the recommendation. Since I'm only transmitting camera positioning data, not live video, over the network, very low bandwidth is required. So, I'd buy two of the Ubiquitis and plug them into each switch at both ends?
Yes. They have a built-in web server. I would recommend a laptop or tablet to verify setup. You will also want to get a pair of INS-3AF-I-G adapters because the Loco 5AC are 24V passive POE. Your switches are probably 48V POE output.

Jul 24, 2023
Yes. They have a built-in web server. I would recommend a laptop or tablet to verify setup. You will also want to get a pair of INS-3AF-I-G adapters because the Loco 5AC are 24V passive POE. Your switches are probably 48V POE output.
You're right, my POE switch provides a max of 56V. Does the INS-3AF-I-G act as a voltage reducer between the switch and the Ubiquiti? OR is it used instead of my switch? Since I have two cams, it would be ideal to use my POE switch vs having to buy a separate Ubiquiti for each. Each cam only requires 12V, though.

kanewolf

Titan
You're right, my POE switch provides a max of 56V. Does the INS-3AF-I-G act as a voltage reducer between the switch and the Ubiquiti? OR is it used instead of my switch? Since I have two cams, it would be ideal to use my POE switch vs having to buy a separate Ubiquiti for each. Each cam only requires 12V, though.
Yes. It allows 24V devices like the 5AC to run off a "normal" POE switch. You can find POE to 12V adapters -- https://shop.poetexas.com/collections/poe-to-dc-power/products/gaf-12v12w

Latest posts