Create Your Own Custom, Colorful Mechanical Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
i would really like to see the option of different switches for different keys. having the wasd and 1-4 keys as reds, with everything else as black would be awesome for gaming.
or even better, how about some sort of switch system to adjust the resistance of the switches so you can switch between black or red?
that would be awesome. though probably impossible..

sixpac502

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Get an old IBM model M mechanical keyboard and dye the keys with RIT dye from the supermarket.any color you want and cheap too

[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]I want a custom keyboard that has "ing", "tion", "ism" ect... buttons like that to make typing faster[/citation]
That can be done with most any gaming keyboard that has macro-able keys.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I'd wait on buying keyboards or keys from them right now. In about a month or so they're going to start stocking PBT caps instead of these which are ABS. PBT caps develop shine a lot slower than ABS and thus last much longer. They're also going to introduce a TKL version of the keyboard later this year.

lasda

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Yes, I agree with your views.
g.gif

Recently purchased one (at the beginning of April) and absolutely love it. It feels very solid and looks fantastic (went fully custom). They are somewhat pricey (paid $168 for keyboard + wrist attachment + shipping from CA to IN), but I feel like you get a little bit more than other mechanicals for only a little bit more $$.

Here's a pic: http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l554/bravokiloromeo/474619_10150656154557309_598907308_9483091_2017007355_o.jpg

[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]I wounder if they allow different fonts? Did not see that on their site. Seems to be only the fonts they currently have.[/citation]
If you do a fully custom board you can specify the font, size, multiple characters on a key, locations on the key, etc.

[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom]i would really like to see the option of different switches for different keys. having the wasd and 1-4 keys as reds, with everything else as black would be awesome for gaming. or even better, how about some sort of switch system to adjust the resistance of the switches so you can switch between black or red? that would be awesome. though probably impossible..[/citation]
You could buy a full black keyboard and replace the 4 switches with reds if you really wanted. No way to do it via WASD though AFAIK.

[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]I'll stick with my original G15, at least until the WASD keys completely fade away. It has been a great key board.[/citation]
not exactly a fair comparision. while i agree that the g15 is a great rubber dome keyboard, nothing beats a good mechanical keyboard in overall feel.

[citation][nom]sixpac502[/nom]Get an old IBM model M mechanical keyboard and dye the keys with RIT dye from the supermarket.any color you want and cheap too[/citation]
from what i've read the model m only supports 2kro. i'm a fan of them as well but 2kro just isnt going to cut it anymore. what we need is a buckling spring model that comes in nkro.

while the inclusion of custom printed keys is impressive the unit looks to be a bit on the small and light side compared with the venerable model m and even deck keyboards. personally i want my keyboard to be heavy enough to be considered a weapon or else it tends to slide all over the desk. the price point isnt bad though if it lasts as long as a mechanical keyboard should.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]bennaye[/nom]ctrl-alt-delctrl-c & vctrl-zwasdctrl-shift-n, ifyouknowwhatimean.jpgctrl-wthe only keys you need in life.[/citation]
You forgot ctrl-a.

That command has saved me multiple times.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]northwestern[/nom]You forgot ctrl-a.That command has saved me multiple times.[/citation]

I get the ctrl-shift-n (or ctrl-shift-p in FF), but I don't get the ctrl-a reference. Select All?

pita

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
People who are really into mechanical keyboard should probably know WASD for a long time now. Don't think those who just found out today are ones really care about mech boards. lol

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Mechanical keyboards are rather nice to type on for extended time. It's a pity people don't care about their fingers and wrists unless they hurt.

There are 2 kinds of high-end keyboards out there. The 1st is superior on the looks. Logitech, Microsoft and even Apple keyboards have a legion of fans as they set standards on their own in terms of look and functions. But some don't really care about the looks or extras and just want the best typing experience and there ugly seemingly outdated keyboards rule as kings as they sport high-end keyswitches.

Cherry MX keyswitches are good and I must stress anyone who spends hours a day operating a computer should give them a try and learn about their durability before calling them ridiculously overpriced. There are also alternatives to Cherry mechanical keyswitches out there such as Alps and Topre which are considered even superior despite their lower durability.

BWMerlin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Now if I could just get one of these in an ergonomic design like Microsoft's ergonomic keyboards (particularly the older Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard which was [until it died] my favourite keyboard of all time) with a touch pad in the middle between the split (moving your hands from keyboard to mouse is tiring and causes additional muscle/tendon strain) then I would jump at one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.