[SOLVED] Creating a LAN for image sharing ?

Aug 4, 2021
I own a photo booth and am wanting to create a way for guests to access their photos by scanning a QR code (with their phones) to access a file folder containing the images, but without an internet connection.

I believe there's a way to do this by creating a local area network for guests to access, but I'm not sure how to set it up. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Solution
Hmm. This is the reason why I started here. I thought something like this would be more of a network permissions thing than a software application thing.

There are two companies that offer this but are over $700 for a "licence". Although I can't help think it can't be that difficult to do, I guess that makes more sense...
Its both. Permissions and application and middleware.

The application is what the user sees, and is what gives access to the backend database via 'permissions'.
The middleware is what creates the individual space for each customer. Be it a "folder" or a row in a database that knows what files, or however.

I could almost certainly build something that would do this.
And I can easily see it costing $700...

kanewolf

Titan
I own a photo booth and am wanting to create a way for guests to access their photos by scanning a QR code (with their phones) to access a file folder containing the images, but without an internet connection.

I believe there's a way to do this by creating a local area network for guests to access, but I'm not sure how to set it up. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
The network part is fairly trivial. Setting up the storage to protect the pictures so that ONLY the authorized user is allowed access will be more difficult.

Aug 4, 2021
The network part is fairly trivial. Setting up the storage to protect the pictures so that ONLY the authorized user is allowed access will be more difficult.

In this situation, there will be many users, as in, anybody that used the photo booth. Security isn't an issue.

Essentially what I'm hoping to accomplish is this:

The guests scan a QR code and they can access the photos taken in the booth (they're stored in a folder on the booth's pc) and download them to their device...

Aug 4, 2021
If you just look at the network part the simplest way is to buy the cheapest router you can find and just not hook it to the internet.

This assumes that you have some other way to secure the files and do the rest of your application.

The "other way" is what I'm trying to wrap my head around.

You posted this in a network sub forum.

What you are now asking is more application level stuff. I guess I assumed you were going to write this application yourself and you just wanted the network part.

Not sure you will find a prebuilt software and if you do the network requirements will vary, I suspect most will need internet.

This sounds like custom software. You might find some example of parts of it but if you do not have programming skills you are going to have to pay someone to build what you need.

Aug 4, 2021
What you are now asking is more application level stuff. I guess I assumed you were going to write this application yourself and you just wanted the network part.

Not sure you will find a prebuilt software and if you do the network requirements will vary, I suspect most will need internet.

This sounds like custom software. You might find some example of parts of it but if you do not have programming skills you are going to have to pay someone to build what you need.

Hmm. This is the reason why I started here. I thought something like this would be more of a network permissions thing than a software application thing.

There are two companies that offer this but are over $700 for a "licence". Although I can't help think it can't be that difficult to do, I guess that makes more sense...

USAFRet

Titan

Its both. Permissions and application and middleware.

The application is what the user sees, and is what gives access to the backend database via 'permissions'.
The middleware is what creates the individual space for each customer. Be it a "folder" or a row in a database that knows what files, or however.

I could almost certainly build something that would do this.
And I can easily see it costing $700.

Anyone who thinks "it can't be that difficult to do" has probably never built an actual database thing.

There's a LOT of moving parts, most of which you've not thought of.
QR code the only way to access?
What happens with the pics? How do I download them to my device?
My phone is currently broken/not charged...what is the alternative to the QR code?
How long are they kept?
etc, etc, etc....

Solution
Aug 4, 2021
Anyone who thinks "it can't be that difficult to do" has probably never built an actual database thing.

How'd ya guess? :D

There's a LOT of moving parts, most of which you've not thought of.

I'm not surprised to hear this. I was hoping it would be a lot easier than that. I appears I'm wrong.

QR code the only way to access?
What happens with the pics? How do I download them to my device?
My phone is currently broken/not charged...what is the alternative to the QR code?
How long are they kept?
etc, etc, etc....

Yes, QR code to have immediate access. It's far easier to scan the code than have to input a long address into their phone. The pics are for the guests to download at the event without having to have internet access. After the event guests can go to a more secure website to download their photos. No phone? then that guest will have to go to the website after the event.

The whole point is for guests to immediately access photos. The purpose of the LAN is so I don't have to rely on a venue's subpar internet connection, especially when there are a couple of hundred people accessing the same internet connection.

It looks like I might have to bite the bullet and invest $$$ into someone else's product.

Aug 4, 2021
Introducing a whole other level of complexity...:)

All this is completely doable.
But it ain't cheap. Security costs $$$.

Just to be clear, the secure website is already in place and not something I'm wanting to develop. All I want is for guests to be able to access an image folder on the booth's PC while they're at an event.

USAFRet

Titan
Just to be clear, the secure website is already in place and not something I'm wanting to develop. All I want is for guests to be able to access an image folder on the booth's PC while they're at an event.
OK.
And I still say buy a built solution, instead of trying to build it yourself.

Run your business, instead of getting into the weeds of all the moving parts.

This is just like farming out plumbing and HVAC repairs.
Unless you're a plumber, farm that job out.
Unless you're a software developer, farm that job out.

Aug 4, 2021
I get it and I appreciate your input.

I've grown up tackling almost everything from plumbing, construction, tile setting, floor laying, appliance repair, engine rebuilding, automotive repair, electronics, computer repair, website building, and design, etc. There's very little I don't tackle if presented a challenge. That said, I also know when to give in the towel or leave it to a pro. If this comes down to developing software, that's definitely out of my league.

Another reason for me to attempt to tackle this is; events have been shut down for a year and a half and is just starting to open up in my area. My business costs haven't changed and I've lost a ton of money maintaining them with zero income coming in. Perhaps you can now understand why I'm trying to figure this out myself instead of spending even more money in anticipation of starting up again.

Thanks for your insight.

USAFRet

Titan
Oh, I absolutely get it.

But lets say you can earn $500/week in this.
That application will take a non-developer at least a couple of weeks to deploy, of doing nothing else.

That time when you should be doing your business stuff, instead of learning how to build software.