Creating a Windows 8.1 ISO on Windows Vista

Spoony0313

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
How do I create a Windows 8.1 ISO on Windows Vista? I've got a Windows 8.1 student edition key, but I want a Windows 8.1 ISO so I can install it onto my new build. I only have a laptop with Windows Vista. Is it possible to make it on a Mac book too? I might be able to create it from a Mac Book pro. Is the only way of creating a Windows 8.1 ISO from windows 7?
On Windows Vista when I try to run the Windows Setup it shows an error message. The message says:

Upgrade Assistant can only be started from Windows 7. Windows 8.1 is not designed for installation on devices running Windows XP or Windows Vista - See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=313602 for important information.

What does it mean? Does it mean I cannot obtain a Windows 8.1 ISO using Windows Vista?
Is there a way to avoid this?
Thanks

Hi there
Am I correct in understanding that you are trying to run the set up for Windows 8.1 from within Vista?
Does this mean that you have media (dvd, usb stick)?
From what I understand after reading your post you are trying to do the install from within Windows Vista.
This will not work as Windows 8/8.1 does not support upgrading from Vista. You need to boot your pc from the media you are trying to install from and do a clean install.

Spoony0313

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014

Thanks for you response, I have solved this long ago by downloading a Windows 8.1 pro ISO (Not pirated. I put my code in) and installed it onto my new PC.
I was going to put the ISO onto a USB and running it on a new computer, but I couldn't make the ISO due to my Windows Vista laptop.