Question Creating portable programs

kacper6768

Great
BANNED
Mar 5, 2023
When I created the portable version of the VSDC Pro Video Editor with the VMWare ThinApp 2206 Build 20077476 program, the
Initialization error 1
error pops up in the VSDC Pro Video Editor created for the portable version and from Program Files
COM object not registered
'mslcore5.dll' library not registered. Integration of application is corrupted. Please connect with a support service or launch "Repair" application located at: C:\Data\VSDC Free Video Editor version 8.1.3.459\%ProgramFilesDir(x64)%\Common Files\FlashIntegro\ActiveX\Repair.exe
I also tried to create this program as a portable version with Evalaze 2.2.1.1 and Cameyo 3.1.1530 but it's the same. The last version of this program that worked as a portable version created with VMWare ThinApp is VSDC Pro 7.2.1.439. Newer versions of this VSDC program do not want to work after creating a portable version of the VMWare ThinApp.
This program is available in the latest portable version https://portable4pc.com/vsdc-video-editor-pro-portable but is it virus-free? Very often in such situations a separate launch file is needed, but then there is a risk that there would be viruses.
Most programs have a very simple creation of a portable version by copying the contents of a folder from Program Files or Program Files(x86)
The ideal situation is when there is a "portable launch file"\App\"folder of the program name in the content of this program".
It is absurd that if even have a license for, for example, Nero Burning Rom or Nero Express, but if want to have it in a portable version, I cannot create such a portable version using Evalaze 2.2.1.1 and Cameyo 3.1.1530, there are only 4 options as a normal one installing or downloading it from warez (even if have license), or using it as normally installed on a virtual system in a virtual machine, or opting out of such a program. In many computer magazines, when discs are included, there used to be normal installation versions of programs and now there are only portable versions. The only exceptions are programs that need to run background services or have drivers installed in order to run. Is it true that programs in the normal installation version only clutter the system and it is better to run them in the portable version?
Are there any portable programs for Android smartphones?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
How about something from PortableApps, already built?

There are several video editors, already built in that ecosystem.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i've used apps from portableapps.com many times and would recommend them 100%. never used the site you mentioned.

i believe cameyo was what i used to make portable apps before. portableapps.com now has a new way to make and organize them now. never tried it myself.

one thing i did find making my own portables was the often i had to run it first before ending the creation process. just finishing the install wasn't enough for some programs. for instance i made office 2007 portable but i had to open every program once during the portable creation process before it would work right as a portable. it needed to finish whatever was in the first run script to work as a portable.

have you tried anything like that. again only used cameyo myself but i never failed to create a working portable with some tinkering.

Last edited:
Technically speaking the only difference between a "portable" app and it's non-portable version is the portable app doesn't modify the system state, you can just run it. Many apps, even after you've installed them, assuming they don't have any dependencies (like those Visual Studio libraries) or have DRM that requires activation, you can essentially copy and paste them in another computer and it'll work just fine. You'll have to do a little more work if some system modifications (like context menu modifications or registering the app as a default) were done during the installation, but otherwise, it works.

Now I can't tell if you if the specific app you want to be made portable doesn't care about being installed normally, but a simple test is to copy the location where it's installed to another computer and run the program.

Regarding portable versions of smartphone apps, there's no equivalent. iPhone doesn't let you load apps except from the App Store (yet). With Android, apps are packaged basically as a giant blob of code that gets compiled into the application when it's loaded onto your phone. Even sideloading (that is, importing APK packages outside the Play Store) goes through this process. And I don't even know if Android lets you run pre-compiled apps without "installing" it.

USAFRet

Titan
It is absurd that if even have a license for, for example, Nero Burning Rom or Nero Express, but if want to have it in a portable version, I cannot create such a portable version using Evalaze 2.2.1.1 and Cameyo 3.1.1530, there are only 4 options as a normal one installing or downloading it from warez (even if have license), or using it as normally installed on a virtual system in a virtual machine, or opting out of such a program.
No, it is not "absurd".

If you can trivially make a portable from it, what is to prevent you from giving that to 500 of your best friends?