[SOLVED] Creating RAID 0 in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
If I have two ssds in RAID 0, do I have to re-create the raid 0 when I re-install windows?
If you have correctly created the RAID volume, it will look like one disk to the installer. You shouldn't have to create any additional volumes.
Unless you want the larger space, at the risk of your data, RAID 0 for SSDs is not recommended.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
If you have correctly created the RAID volume, it will look like one disk to the installer. You shouldn't have to create any additional volumes.
Unless you want the larger space, at the risk of your data, RAID 0 for SSDs is not recommended.
If I were create RAID 0 using the control panel aka when computer is booted, can I still install windows or this way will not work?

You are more likely to lose performance with raid-0 ssd devices.
It is only sequential benchmarks that show impressive numbers.
The real world does not seem to deliver the indicated performance benefits for most
desktop users. The reason is, that sequential benchmarks are coded for maximum overlapped I/O rates.
It depends on reading a stripe of data simultaneously from each raid-0 member, and that is rarely what we do.
The OS does mostly small random reads and writes, so raid-0 is of little use there.
In fact, if your block of data were to be spanned on two drives, random times would be greater.

Here is a older study using ssd devices in raid-0.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

And a newer report:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-950-pro-256gb-raid-report,4449-4.html

Spoiler... no benefit at all.

USAFRet

Titan
Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB, I need all the boost it can give, even if little.
yZDzmT8Rs63XZzf7N8B2UV-650-80.png

QiXQ2yhvShAbwDxztFgYWU-650-80.png

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
You are more likely to lose performance with raid-0 ssd devices.
It is only sequential benchmarks that show impressive numbers.
The real world does not seem to deliver the indicated performance benefits for most
desktop users. The reason is, that sequential benchmarks are coded for maximum overlapped I/O rates.
It depends on reading a stripe of data simultaneously from each raid-0 member, and that is rarely what we do.
The OS does mostly small random reads and writes, so raid-0 is of little use there.
In fact, if your block of data were to be spanned on two drives, random times would be greater.

Here is a older study using ssd devices in raid-0.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

And a newer report:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-950-pro-256gb-raid-report,4449-4.html

Spoiler... no benefit at all.
So youre saying even though the benchmarks say the read/write speeds are around 900 MB/s, its actually at around 500 MB/s ???

USAFRet

Titan
So youre saying even though the benchmarks say the read/write speeds are around 900 MB/s, its actually at around 500 MB/s ???
A RAID 0 looks great in benchmarks.

In actual use, pretty much zero difference, at best, over individual drives. That big benchmark number is for moving large sequential block of data. Say, a single large 3D rendering.
NOT for the far more typical usage of small 4k fragments. As you do when playing a game, for instance.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html
"One SSD on its own scores again in the contrived tests we put together. The performance differences when we boot up and shut down Windows 8, then fire up different applications, are marginal at best and not noticeable in practice. Single drives actually manage to outperform the striped arrays some of the time, even. "

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
A RAID 0 looks great in benchmarks.

In actual use, pretty much zero difference, at best, over individual drives. That big benchmark number is for moving large sequential block of data. Say, a single large 3D rendering.
NOT for the far more typical usage of small 4k fragments. As you do when playing a game, for instance.
So the large read/write speeds does help somewhat when transfering really large files?

Yes, it depends on the app that is doing the measuring.
Benchmark apps read sequentially in an overlapped manner.
That is while they are processing the first read, a command is sent to read the next block.
That gives you the max data transfer possible.
But, normal apps read data, then process it before reading the next block.
Sequential access is not where it is at for ssd performance.
Windows ssd access is perhaps 90% small reads and writes where latency or access times are what distinguishes a ssd from a hdd performance.
Way back when, I tried the experiment and saw no difference in performance from raid-0 on two ssd devices.
If there is one plus to raid-0 it is that you can combine two drives to get a larger single C drive image.
Still, it is better to buy a single larger drive if that is an option.

USAFRet

Titan
So the large read/write speeds does help somewhat when transfering really large files?
If transferring to another similar array, possibly.
But if you're doing a workload like that regularly, multiple times a day, you'd already be deep into other drive types. Moving between 2 NVMe drives.

A movie production house, for instance. Moving the prerender file off to the render drive location.

A RAID 0 has little if any benefit for the vast majority of uses. In gaming, not at all.
In addition to all the other things. Like it shouldn't be used for the OS drive, potential of full data loss, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.