Question Creating System Image failed ?

r_jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
This isn't an issue, your trying to back up your system to the system drive. This isn't allowed, you need to use an external drive or a secondary drive
arent thinkpad series work this way?
my thinkpad only got single ssd but with a built in system img ,
most laptops are built that way right?
how come its not possible on desktop.

and yes I have it on a usb as well via ventoy
my reasoning is to have two different way of restoring my system in case an issue happen.

arent thinkpad series work this way?
my thinkpad only got single ssd but with a built in system img ,
most laptops are built that way right?
how come its not possible on desktop.

and yes I have it on a usb as well via ventoy
my reasoning is to have two different way of restoring my system in case an issue happen.
Some laptops have a specialized memory yes that I believe is called eccm, that is soldered to the mobo special for the os and only the os plus few drivers, where in turn the will add a external drive to the os via sata connection or m.w where you can back up os's and files ext but the desktop works different I know of no mobo that has eccm for a desktop there for need multiple drives... You might get away with creating a secondary partition on the same drive as the os but that doesn't always work most of the time it requires a secondary drive for desktops

Reactions: r_jackdaw

USAFRet

Titan
im allocating it to drive D and that is the only selection for the img to be created
That's not what I meant.

14.95GB is far too small for the actual C partition, no matter what you're doing.

Who built this system configured like that?

This thing really needs a full wipe and reinstall.

What data is on the D partition?

In theory, you could shrink the D and apply some tot he C partition.
But whatever gyrations were applied to install this OS to that tiny C partition...I can only imagine that is a non-optimal Windows install.

r_jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
That's not what I meant.

14.95GB is far too small for the actual C partition, no matter what you're doing.

Who built this system configured like that?

This thing really needs a full wipe and reinstall.

What data is on the D partition?

In theory, you could shrink the D and apply some tot he C partition.
But whatever gyrations were applied to install this OS to that tiny C partition...I can only imagine that is a non-optimal Windows install.
finally remembered what Im trying to do..
to create Recovery Partition.

finally remembered what Im trying to do..
to create Recovery Partition.
Move all data away from partition D : ,
Remove pagefile from partition D : (requires reboot),
Delete partition D: ,
Extend C: , leave ~500MB unallocated,
Create recovery partition in unallocated space.

As noted above - you can't create drive image by storing it on the drive itself. Drive image would then contain drive image inside of it - recursively.
You have to store drive image on a different drive.
It's like trying to eat your own head.

Last edited:
Move all data away from partition D : ,
Remove pagefile from partition D : (requires reboot),
Delete partition D: ,
Extend C: , leave ~500MB unallocated,
Create recovery partition unallocated space.

As noted above - you can't create drive image by storing it on the drive itself. Drive image would then contain drive image inside of it - recursively.
You have to store drive image on a different drive.
It's like trying to eat your own head.
You can't do that with an image of the whole drive but a image of the windows drive can be put into the recovery partition of the same drive, that's how windows tablets work.

You can use DISM to capture-image the windows partition to the RE partition and then apply-image the same image back, but that is done from a boot to recovery not by using windows backup.

r_jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
You can't do that with an image of the whole drive but a image of the windows drive can be put into the recovery partition of the same drive, that's how windows tablets work.

You can use DISM to capture-image the windows partition to the RE partition and then apply-image the same image back, but that is done from a boot to recovery not by using windows backup.

Im trying to do exactly like this
just cant remember how
View: https://imgur.com/a/QmdJTlo

Im trying to do exactly like this
just cant remember how
View: https://imgur.com/a/QmdJTlo
That is not a partition that holds a full image of your windows partition.
That is a partition that has the boot.wim on it, in the sources folder of any windows iso, after win 7.
Boot.wim is what you get when you boot your windows installation media and go to advanced repair, it has all the tools to do a recovery but doesn't have the windows image.

You would have to create another partition of around 5Gb, depends on how large the image of windows winds up as, and keep the image there.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm with USAFRet on this one. When I see a disk managed so awkwardly, it makes me wonder what else is wrong. Especially since there's also an obvious FrankenRAM situation too. I think it's time to wipe the drive and review everything about this older PC; I wouldn't be surprised if, for various reasons, it's performing worse than other 3770s from this era.