Question Cried with Crysis 3, is it a CPU-based game?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 22, 2019
I am so unhappy lately because I cannot get 60+ FPS from Crysis 3. I believe that my PowerColor Radeon RX 570 8GB is such a poweful card and Ryzen 5 3400G being a matching pair with the grphics board, can't bear to see Crysis 3 running below 60+ FPS. I have no problems with other titles like BF 1, PUBG and Fortnite.

Is that all Crysis Episodes are CPU-intensive games? Isn't it using the good old Quake engine? Supposingly a less demanding engine...

The 3400G is a replacement of my previous 1600. Should I upgrade the 3400G to 3600X to get to 60 FPS in Crysis 3? I am a die-hard fan of the Crysis series (except Crysis 2 though), it's such a thrill to immerse yourself into that vibrant and blood boiling environment. But this 3400G serves me just for a little less than 3 months, should I get a Intel 9900K for making some room to overclock as needed because Crysis 4 is coming... anyone can contribute some recommendations?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019
When did we start discussing the i5-9600K or i5-3570K?
You've got an X570 mobo that you just bought, why would you choose to jump to Intel? It's unfortunate that you "side-graded" from a Ryzen 1600 to a 3200G (and bought a new mobo you probably didn't need), but there's no need to further hemorrhage money on shotgun decisions. The only thing you haven't mentioned replacing yet is your case or SSD (hopefully you're not running the OS on a HDD). We need to focus on what's causing the problem, not "spray-and-pray".

Sorry for the confusing discussion. My PC in my office is an old Core i5-3570K and I use the integrated graphics for Excel, Word and Powerpoint for daily task. I do have the freedom to plug anything inside the case coz I own my company. Because of this Crysis 3 issue, I actually tried it yesterday moving my RX 570 into the 3570K. It actually worked and the frame rate hovered around 45~58 FPS. I installed MSI Afterburner and o/c it by 10 mV, the result was a stable 59~62 FPS which I am very happy with that. I also o/c the 3570K, it went up to 4600MHz, wow! I never o/c the PC coz I never needed to. The FPS is more stable running between 62~65 a bit struggling though. Is that because the 3570K is 4/4 structure?

I'm very confused with this whole conversation. You yourself linked a video of a Ryzen 2200G (which is worse than your 3400G) and an RX570 4GB running Crysis 3 @ 70+FPS on high settings. Are you insinuating that your rig is failing to match that at the same settings?

I was a bit doubtful about the big gap between HIGH and VERY HIGH, probably said in my previous thread, I never thought of comparing my 2200G < 3400G which I know very well. I'm not implying anything of the sort, afterall this is just a casual discussion.

I think this is what you/we need to focus on.
This is an easy test to start right away: test your RAM on Prime95 Blend test for 24 hours (doing one stick at a time goes faster). If a stick of RAM is faulty, the kit should be RMA'd. (RMA = free warranty replacement from the manufacturer)
Ok, I try doing that when time allows.

Your RX570 doesn't need to be upgraded, but it may need to be RMA'd if it's defective and the system RAM is fine. Please elaborate on your "non-default" fan curve. 85C is certainly high, but the card will throttle its frequency down to avoid temps that are damaging. That may very well be the reason you're not getting the FPS you're expecting. Have you monitored your GPU frequency while in-game or under load?
I don't quite know actually: apart from the performance degradation, the sudden checker pattern showing up that freeze the whole system makes me very uncomfortable, I suspect it is damaged.

But it looks like that the 3570K + RX 570 8GB with both o/c solve the FPS 60+ problem. I ll try to o/c a bit further to see if it improves. Actually a bit disappointed by all these new CPUs, a dated 3570K works better.

Aug 27, 2019
You thought Crysis was a Quake 3 engine game?

The RX570 is not a powerful card, it's a lower mid-range card for 1080P....

The 3400G is a quad core....it should approximate performance of the i5-7400...shown below...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilvjIoDDHMM

In short, if you want 60 fps, you might need more CPU, and, more GPU. (Lower your res and/or details/quality...if framerates improve noticeably, your GPU is holding you back.,..; if not, it's the CPU likely holding you.

You forgot to ask the setting he uses.
Its pretty powerful, 1080p @ 60fps in many old games like Crysis 3. You just blasted him without asking

Sep 22, 2019
You forgot to ask the setting he uses.
Its pretty powerful, 1080p @ 60fps in many old games like Crysis 3. You just blasted him without asking
Now I dare not say the game is old, except perhaps the vanilla Crysis. The game as I pointed out was released but expecting all good hardware at the time. Despite I like the series very much but rationally I didn't invest a $1300 PC just for one single title.

6 years down the road, the game still poses a great challenge to today's hardware, even a 9600K with 1060 can't handle it with soaring FPS, some old games really stuffs things up!

Since the RX570 apparently works fine in another system, I think we can rule that out. *By the sound of it, your RX570 could use some teaking, but that's a bit involved. I'd like to focus on the RAM for now. One step at a time.

Aside from testing the RAM for faults, can you confirm that the sticks of RAM are installed in the proper slots in your motherboard to enable dual channel memory? That would be slots 2 and 4 if Slot 1 is closest to the CPU.
Also, is XMP enabled so that your RAM is actually running at 3000MHz. It would likely default to 2933MHz(?) if you haven't touched anything.

Crysis 3 is 6.5 years old (released Feb 2013). Most would agree that's "old". Still a great game, no doubt.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
Now I dare not say the game is old, except perhaps the vanilla Crysis. The game as I pointed out was released but expecting all good hardware at the time. Despite I like the series very much but rationally I didn't invest a $1300 PC just for one single title.

6 years down the road, the game still poses a great challenge to today's hardware, even a 9600K with 1060 can't handle it with soaring FPS, some old games really stuffs things up!
Now I dare to say the game is old, BECAUSE IT IS. Its a 2013 game. A game that expected good hardware at its time SIX YEARS AGO absolutely does not demand too much crap now.

6 years down the road, i bet a mid lower range gpu can handle games from 6 years ago.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Since when was a 3400G an upgrade over a 1600?
The 3400G is almost identical to the 2400G, a 4c/8t APU that's missing a good chunk of Lcache due to size needs of the igpu. It's a chopped down Ryzen that's only decent if it can take advantage of fast system ram when used with the igpu. When used with a dedicated gpu, that advantage is lost and becomes a detriment. In a cpu intensive game such as Crysis, the 6c/12t 1600 with fast ram is better by a decent amount.

Sep 22, 2019
Folks,

I think I've found a work around. I changed to play Crysis 3 on my office PC, Spec is as follows:

CPU=3570K
GPU=Asus Rog Strix RX 570 4GB O/C
MOBO=Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
RAM=Corsair Donminator 1333MHz 2X4GB = 8GB
PSU= Corsair TX 750W (Overkill I know)
AIO=1st Gen Hydro Series H60

The PC was built in 2013 when the 3570K was a debuted CPU, the card HD 4870 was removed and I plugged in the RX 570. Then for the very first time, I overclock via the BIO. Surprised at how easy that was, just a click on the Overclock icon.

Seeing is believing, here are 2 videos which captures by the Radeon Live.

I am sort of happy with the results, if not very disappointed. At least, it is better than running both at stock speed which make the game nearly unplayable. There are severe stuttering at the beginning of the cut scene movie, around 26~29 FPS, can't understand why.

Now that I have at least an average FPS close to 60, I change my plan. Originally I thought of building another new system primarily for difficult games like the Crysis's. Target components include 9600K CPU, Z390 Mobo, Corsair Vengeance RAM, Transcend M.2 drive, a new 750W PSU and a functional case. But then, I have been thinking how much is the difference between 9600K's 5GHz and 3570K's 4.2GHz, I mean does that 800 MHz will in return gives me 15+ FPS, stable ones I mean? I doubt !

So the budget $1100 that I intend to spend on another new rig doesn't seem to be worth the money, considering also B550 and 10th gen Intel is coming out in a few weeks, I better hold on and see how things go.

Meanwhile I just get a more powerful GPU like 1660Ti perhaps? I read many posts in the last couple of days; those views are true, modern titles is NOT much affected by the CPU as evident in this case with Crysis. I bet even I replace my 3570K/3400G with a 9600K, it won't give me 20+ additional FPS. This video from another enthusiast has enlightened me:

But the overclocked GPU from 1300MHz to now 1400MHz does bridge the gap EFFECTIVELY. And spending $300 for a 1660Ti and wait for a couple of years until all things settle down with Intel 10XX CPU and B550 sounds like a plan, what you reckon guys? Can this 3570K last for another 18 months? I overcock it to 4.2 only when playing Crysis 3 and Battlefield V.

Just did an experiment: i5-3570K @ stock speed , RX 570 @ 1400MHz,

The effect of overclocking the CPU is not very obvious. Looks like even replacing the 3570K with a newer CPU won't help that very much.

Last edited: