Critical Security Problem in Nvidia's Drivers, Exploit Code Circulated

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
You would think this guy would do the right thing and tell Nvidia first and hopefully Nvidia would do the right thing and compensate the guy for the knowledge but noooooo.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]i know that a long time ago... in my country has some hijack tools with the exe =) thats why i use ati.[/citation]

Yes, AMD/ATI drivers are much better.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
It is amazing how people dog ATI's drivers, but when Nvidia has driver issues, all the Nvidia fan boys just disappear. Not to mention it took 3-4 years and a class action lawsuit for Nvidia to come clean about their GPU hardware issues that messed everyone up not that long ago (2002-2005).

Unless ATI does something really stupid, I will never use Nvidia's half...... hardware.

HINT: Any application that has SACL access (full system access rights) has the potential to be hacked (exploited) in much the same exact manner.

Google or search: 'ATI driver exploits' or pretty much any primary program your PC uses and at one point or another chances are someone hacked into it...

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
AMD gives better performance per watt for the most part. The issue I have is the driver tuning is lacking from a processing standpoint. My conclusion is rooted in experience from GPU video encoding and how the AMD output looks noticeably worse than NVidia or Intel and you can't improve it easily at this point. When they get that part of their engine fixed and there's better software support, then I'm making the switch.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]Yeah, I was like...wait, he is being sarcastic, right? The "/sarcasm" tag is your friend...[/citation]

I'm not being sarcastic. This article is about Nvidia driver security vulnerabilities. I am supporting AMD. Without AMD, we'd all be paying Intel $1000+ for any powerful CPU, and we'll all be paying Nvidia almost as much for a powerful graphics card. Join me, plant a tree, support AMD. :)

G

Real good reporting, Tom's. It would be nice to know what version of the drivers are affected so I can switch to a different one.

Why this turned into ATI vs Nvidia I have no idea. They both have had drivers exploited in a similar manor. Any driver like this that has to interact with low level hardware has potential to be hacked.

I would like to suggest a new years resolution that everyone support both camps because without both doing well we get high prices and stagnation.

prophetzarquon

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]I'm not being sarcastic. This article is about Nvidia driver security vulnerabilities. I am supporting AMD. Without AMD, we'd all be paying Intel $1000+ for any powerful CPU, and we'll all be paying Nvidia almost as much for a powerful graphics card. Join me, plant a tree, support AMD.[/citation]

By that reasoning, you should buy Texas Instruments ARM processors!

Which I do recommend, actually.

Raspberry Pi, 700Mhz ARM CPU, Samsung GPU, 1080p HDMI output,
$35 for a complete board turned out to be a very good price for me!

prophetzarquon

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
I prefer NVidia for the bang-for-the-buck performance, usually same with Intel on high end boards.

All I can say about ATI is... "I had a bad experience."

Several actually. Always, actually.

Great hardware, terrible software: ATI, HP (commercial), Samsung (stock Galaxy S3 anyone?), the list goes on.

mt2e

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Here the facts: AMD drivers have been terribad till this fall when they started pushing more driver updates for bugs and performance, if you disagree with this you straight up do NOT know what your talking about, its a fact. Nvidia has more money, has a bigger driver team and has done a better job for years. AMD wins in the price/performance and a 7970 is what i'd recommend BUT I will tell u Nvidia didnt try this round they pretty much released their products and was like thats that, nothing special. Their 690 was botched, a technical win but they priced it way too high and the price never came down. AMDs cards were priced way too high .....7970 started at like 600 and now what under 400 and they had that driver performance increase, I think they at least had a strat of a midstream bump via GHZ edition even tho it was kinda wack, everything counts.......blah blah blah I could go on but Im just gonna end this wall of txt.

hytecgowthaman

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I am buy a laptop 6years ago (2007)Compaq c772tu at that time win xp is famous.so Iam decided to install xp 32bit sp2 (vista arrived).after install os ,download drivers from manufacturer website but sound driver not worked.other website give driver after 30days worked but update windows automatically sound driver not worked due to unknown signature and expired certificate.
so use vista for hearing sound but sound driver is very old ,and xp for using programs in 160gb hdd 5400rpm.two os and softwares takes 50gb.
after win7 comes my problem solved (after two years I am get good sound in my laptop 2009drivers by updating windows(before iam use 2002 driver files in xp given by hp ,2004 driver files for vista)(hp not give drivers for win7)"so how much time taken for good driver files" .then now iam use win7 ultimate 32bit in it all softwares work fine only one os so save hdd space.hdd driver Intel rapid storage work fine in only win7. IT'S THE REAL WORLD.
So don't tease others.

prophetzarquon

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
[citation][nom]mt2e[/nom]Here the facts: AMD drivers have been terribad till this fall when they started pushing more driver updates for bugs and performance, if you disagree with this you straight up do NOT know what your talking about, its a fact. Nvidia has more money, has a bigger driver team and has done a better job for years. AMD wins in the price/performance and a 7970 is what i'd recommend BUT I will tell u Nvidia didnt try this round they pretty much released their products and was like thats that, nothing special. Their 690 was botched, a technical win but they priced it way too high and the price never came down. AMDs cards were priced way too high .....7970 started at like 600 and now what under 400 and they had that driver performance increase, I think they at least had a strat of a midstream bump via GHZ edition even tho it was kinda wack, everything counts.......blah blah blah I could go on but Im just gonna end this wall of txt.[/citation]

As I read this, I'm assuming that by saying AMD over & over, you mean ATI.

I wouldn't be able to speak firsthand about GPU *or* CPU updates from ATI or AMD since this fall because I bought an NVidia and Intel layout in spring.

For high end boards, a complete Intel system is often cheaper per operation/per-second than AMD.

ATI vs NVidia... Hardware top-performance honors vary year by year but traditionally I have found NVidia software to be much more robust, functional & reliable while I otherwise would prefer the ATI hardware.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
[citation][nom]kellybean[/nom]You would think this guy would do the right thing and tell Nvidia first and hopefully Nvidia would do the right thing and compensate the guy for the knowledge but noooooo.[/citation]

agreed what a db. you want the publicity just say you found a vulnerability and tell nvidia. no need to publish code and all the info to put millions of pc's at risk.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
[citation][nom]curnel_D[/nom]Lol, and Nvidia wonders why Linux won't open up the kernel for their drivers.[/citation]
yea cause if you google "Linux kernel vulnerability" the kernel is rock solid. if anyone cared enough to actually look for linux vulnerabilities like the do on windows it would be torn to shreds.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]prophetzarquon[/nom]As I read this, I'm assuming that by saying AMD over & over, you mean ATI.[/citation]
AMD bought ATI in 2006. They've also retired the "ATI" branding, and all graphics cards are now sold under the "AMD" brand. For all intents and purposes, ATI no longer exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.