Critique of first build?

ConfuciusSayyy

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
My father built me a PC last summer, but I experienced many issues with fluctuating performance and high temps. The core of the build consisted of a 7990 and a FX-8350. However, everything else was skimped, and I had worse performance than my old Alienware X51. I sold my computer on Ebay for $1600, and my father wants me to build my own PC. I'm only 14, but I consider myself "tech-savvy" and I have some experience with overclocking (albeit with a low-quality mobo). I already have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/PfI
My main concerns are PSU and bottlenecking. All suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

ConfuciusSayyy

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

Thanks, 780TI SCs SLI is overkill for 1920x1080p, so I'll get the EVGA SuperNOVA (650w) for $85. What case do you recommend that can fit my motherboard?

Any ATX cases will fit your motherboard. You should choose what case you like. What is your budget for the case? The Corsair 200R is a budget case. The Define R4, NZXT H440, Corsair 750D, Corsair 760T etc...

ConfuciusSayyy

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

Thanks, I'm settling on the Define R4 for its appearance. Also, I've heard mixed reviews from gamers with Windows 8.1 and FPS. I have Windows 7 64-bit on my current PC, so should I stick with it or upgrade?

g-unit1111

Titan
Thanks, I'm settling on the Define R4 for its appearance. Also, I've heard mixed reviews from gamers with Windows 8.1 and FPS. I have Windows 7 64-bit on my current PC, so should I stick with it or upgrade?

That is a good question and there's been a lot of debate on this topic. The one area where Windows 8.1 will provide the extra frame rates is that it will work with new manufacturer driver software. So when the new drivers are available you'll definitely see the difference.

One thing I would suggest on your build is that if you're going to overclock you should look at getting a better cooler. The 212 Evo is good for what it does but you have a $1600 budget. You should get *at least* a Noctua U9B or D14, better would be a closed liquid loop like a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme, NZXT Kraken X60, or Cooler Master Eisburg 240L.

These reviews were personal preference on the change of the start menu. You can try Window 8.1 for 90 days from Microsoft to test it out but either is fine. I have both Window 7 on a laptop and Window 8.1 on my desktop. The 'Metro' menu isn't bad but I don't really use it much. You can bypass that start screen to the desktop. You can also use Rainmeter to use shutdown buttons and shortcuts so you don't have to use the metro start screen.

ConfuciusSayyy

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

I replaced the 212 EVO with the D14 :)