[SOLVED] Cross compatibility on diferent laptop screens

Jun 4, 2021
Will another laptop screen work with another model?
I have a lenovo g50-80 and I want to use the screen with a t420. I checked and both of them use 40 pin screen connectors. I know I need another display cable but would it actually post?

Panel info: https://www.panelook.com/LP156WHB-TLA1_LG Display_15.6_LCM_parameter_22684.html

My panel photo: https://ibb.co/FV1MMyr

The display cable I'm going to buy: https://sparesale.com/Display-Cable-For-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-T420I-T430-T430I-04W1618

Would this cross compatibility work? The lenovo t420 doesnt post without a screen( Any work around for that?). I'd appreciate the help a lot!

Solution
To be blunt, it's best that you work with parts that are guaranteed to work with your laptop. The Thinkpad series of parts are more premium when compared to the other series laptop that you have to work with. Often times the cables might match up while the board doesn't want to communicate with the panel. Yes it's happened on the forums where someone decided to order a larger resolution panel for the laptop but ended up with two panels, one that didn't work and the original part number meant for the laptop.

Just to reiterate, no one's going to stop you from trying but in the world of reliability, it's best to work with what you and Lenovo know, works.

The lenovo t420 doesnt post without a screen
Did you try with an...

Lutfij

Titan
To be blunt, it's best that you work with parts that are guaranteed to work with your laptop. The Thinkpad series of parts are more premium when compared to the other series laptop that you have to work with. Often times the cables might match up while the board doesn't want to communicate with the panel. Yes it's happened on the forums where someone decided to order a larger resolution panel for the laptop but ended up with two panels, one that didn't work and the original part number meant for the laptop.

Just to reiterate, no one's going to stop you from trying but in the world of reliability, it's best to work with what you and Lenovo know, works.

Did you try with an external panel connected to external display output port + screw driver placed atop the hinge on the laptop?

Solution
Jun 4, 2021

Did you try with an external panel connected to external display output port + screw driver placed atop the hinge on the laptop?
I was being stupid and opened it and threw the body, I can send pics of what it looks like now, everything works. Also I only have an hdmi monitor, no dp ports