crossfire or sli setup on my new build, worth it?

dan1987

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Trying to work out what parts i am going to get for my new gaming pc. One thing I am unsure about is whether to get parts that mean I can add a second graphics card at a later date.

Is the only advantage of sli or crossfire to run higher resolutions? I already know that I am getting a 22" monitor with a max resolution of 1680 x 1050, this will not be replaced untill it breaks!

With this monitor is there any point in considering a dual graphics card set up?

(The cards would be 8800's or R600's)

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
A single 8800GTX or R600 will most likely do the job. Heck, a single 8800GTS can do the job.

Best way to see, is to get one card, and it it doesn't do the job, then you can add another. I wouldn't get two cards at once right away without knowing if it will provide any benefits.

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hi Dan1987

You will be fine with a 8800 or a R600 , at that resolution .

I would suggest a sli or crossfire only if you were using a 30' monitor .

:)

dan1987

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Best way to see, is to get one card, and it it doesn't do the job, then you can add another. I wouldn't get two cards at once right away without knowing if it will provide any benefits.

This is what I was thinking but it does invole buying a much more expensive motherboard and power supply.

Since one will do what i need since i will only have a 22" monitor i think I will stick to a non dual card set up so i can save some money and put it towards other parts :D

sailer

Splendid
I'll go along with Prozac and Stranger with one caveat. When the DX10 games finally come out, a need may appear for SLI or Crossfire to play them with all the settings maxed out. That need isn't here yet, so for the moment, I'd get one card.

Another thing is that by the time a need may become apparent, new cards may be out that speed things up enough so that SLI/Crossfire again becomes unnecessary. Can't say for sure, as that gets into predicting an uncertain future.