CrossFire Versus SLI Scaling: Does AMD's FX Actually Favor GeForce?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
You ever hear the phrase, "You get what you pay for?"

[citation][nom]kounelos[/nom]Thanks for the article it was great.Amd is actually doing fine with their products especially with their GPUs.Why so much hate on their CPUs i will never understand.They are cheaper aren't they?[/citation]

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]CaptainTom[/nom]I'm going to be honest, this article didn't prove anything for these reasons:-The i7 is stronger so of course it scaled better.-The 7970 is on average a stronger card than the 680, so of course it needs a little extra CPU power.-The differences overall were very little anyways besides the obvious things like Skyrim preferring Intel.[/citation]

also keep in mind that most people max their cpu budget at 200 for a top end FX WILL NOT be pairing them with a video card that cost more that 240-250 range (and in most cases they will be shopping at price range of 150-180 on vid card) , the 7970's all price out at 450 bucks or more. To many rich kids and intel fanboys are reading into this like the article is saying "AMD sucks" not the I7 in the test is significantly more in price than the FX chip and makes a big difference as far as consumers are concerned. lastly the gains if the I7 are marginal at best , unless you are just talking the one or two games that favored the I7/radeon mix. the article take no consideration to the fact some games are just coded better for intel and nivida products. This one varible is the reason why i take this article with agrain of salt. AMD has no control over what hardware a game dev is optimizing for.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Did you read the article before commenting?

x86overclock

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
AMD screwed up when they removed the 3D-now instruction from their FX processors and every programmer knows it. If AMD doesn't come up with a new instruction set or puts 3d-now back on their instruction support they are going to continue to decline in the PC gaming industry. When I play games on my older PhenomIIx4 980 and compare it to my friends FX-8350 I average anywhere from 20-50 fps more in almost all of my games.

Then there is the Intel compiler issue that screws AMD cpu's on all programs made with Intel compilers. AMD won a lawsuit against Intel and now Intel has to put a tiny disclaimer that says that Intel compilers only optimize properly for Intel cpu's.. Windows is slanted. Linux may gives a better picture of AMD and Intel's performance because almost everything is open source and it is hard to hide stuff like checking for "Genuine Intel" before deciding on which instruction sets to allow the program to use... This does affect games quite a bit. Also proper multi threading would make programs actually use the full potential of the CPU's with lots of cores/threads (AMD 8 core/ Intel 8 thread). Intel needs to make their compiler just check what the cpu has for instrucion sets and that is it. None of this is it an Intel cpu and if not make it run the slowest code path possible...

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Intel makes a compiler that works best on their hardware instead of catering to their competitor, what a-holes....

You guys are living in fantasy land. If the sky was green, this specific hardware would function better.... Who cares? It doesn't right now and what-ifs don't matter.

Also this article has nothing to do with what you're talking about.

natoco

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Only 2 games in the list are cpu dependant, the other games results don't count due to the way they only use the gpus and not the cpu. And as soon as those games required some actual cpu grunt the amd system collapsed

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]natoco[/nom]Only 2 games in the list are cpu dependant, the other games results don't count due to the way they only use the gpus and not the cpu. And as soon as those games required some actual cpu grunt the amd system collapsed[/citation]All of the games count because the story was about average performance. To do otherwise would be to "gang up" on a specific CPU brand, and why do that when this wasn't even a CPU comparison?

The question was whether GeForce works better than Radeon on AMD CPUs. And behold GeForce techologies do work better on AMD processors than Radeon technologies. So, there you go.

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
what i wanna know was 3770k bottle-necking the hd 7970 crossfire and 680 sli, at moment i have i5 2500k at 4.3ghz and in bf3 multiplayer my hd 7970 crossfires are bottleneck from my cpu

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Why do people keep bringing up money and the i5?

The i5 would have performed nearly exactly the same as the i7 here.

If this was about amd vs intel then toms would have mwntioned price. Since it isnt, they didnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.