crossfired 7950's crash at 61c

Jonathan Schiller

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
Ok I have a problem that has me stumped... I am working on a friends pc. Specs:SABERTOOTH 990FX, amd 8350, 8GB G-skill 1600, 2 amd 7950 crossfired, and a Corsair RM 1000 psu.
The issue is that when playing games the screen goes out with green horizontal lines, and the system crashes. No blue screen, no errors. when I run the HEAVEN BENCHMARK it passes fine on ultra; but when I use FurMark and gpu-z it crashes once the gpus reaches 61c.
So I first I reinstalled the OS and swapped out the psu, but it still crashed. Then I tried one Gpu at a time in both in the pcie 16x and 8x slots, still crashed. But when I tried the cards in the pcie 4x, they passed. So now I can only guess it is either both gpus are bad, unless it is the motherboard. has anyone had any similar issues?

Jonathan Schiller

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
OK I know I never got an answer, but just in case someone else is having similar trouble, I did find the problem. It turned out that the stock gpu heat sinks on both cards warped. Not Shure how, but after replacing them everything ran great again. Hope this helps.