Crossover 2795 vs 1440p IPS Competition

remius

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Crossover 2795 import monitor and can comment on how it stacks up to other 1440p IPS monitors for image quality and color presets. It seems to use the same panel as the Dell U2713h, is PWM-free, and can overclock to 96hz+ reliably but lacks any built-in controls other than brightness and has a 1 dead pixel return policy (at best). While the relatively low cost of $350 for the monitor and an upgraded stand is appealing, I'm willing to spend more for a better product I just can't find much discussing this monitor in relation to the competition (Dell U2715h, Benq GW2765HT, LG 27MB85R, etc). The 1440p, 144hz, IPS, G-Sync monitors are undoubtedly better but I'm having trouble quantifying the differences that come with the $500 price premium in light of the QC issues the ASUS and ACER models people are reporting to have. My usage tends to be single player gaming, MMOs, and general computing. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

remius

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
If they all suffer from QC issues that shouldn't change the average attributes of the panels such as general picture or build quality. I'm looking for information (even subjective) on how the Crossover 2795 compares to other 1440p monitors.

Well, there's more to it than that. Many brands can use the same exact panel, but still price them competetively. The backlight bleed doesn't happen because the quality is low, but because they don't remove the bad panels before they sell them, unlike the professional monitors, which they make sure they don't have defects, and they also calibrate them.

This is why buying say a triple monitor setup is never a good idea, because it's highly unlikely that the colors are going to match, because the panels could come from different vendors, and they could also have made improvements over time, to newer panels but the same model number, the only thing that changes when they do that is the version number.

You have to keep in mind that reviewers (90%+) receive monitors that have been cherry picked by the manufacturer, in order to get as high results as possible, during the reviewers tests. Because of this, the results your average consumer is going to get, compared to the reviewer, is going to be far worse, with an occasional lucky consumer receiving a almost flawless monitor. If there's excessive bleed or glow, the colors in that area the defects are present, can't display accurate colors. Because your average consumers measure using inaccurate colorimeters, all they will be getting is an accurate graph on their computer, but the colors won't look accurate when you actually look at the monitor.

I haven't used the Crossover 2795, so I can't tell you my opinion on it. The question you're asking is not an easy question to answer, because not all monitors are going to look the same, regardless if they're the same model number. You can of course figure out the average, but that would require you seeing multiple monitors of the same model infront of you, no reviewer as far as I'm concerned does that.

remius

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Very true Suzuki. Unfortunately, it seems monitors have too high a defect rate for the batch manufacturing with limited quality sampling method that suppliers use (individual inspections would likely be too costly for the price consumers are willing to pay). I honestly don't know how much of a difference there is between high and low end monitors currently as I haven't purchased one for many years and there are no computer stores in the area to check them out in person. Would a minorly defective high end panel possibly still look better than a perfect low/mid end one? Most Crossover 2795 resellers have loose standards for what qualifies as defective enough to warrant a replacement with multiple dead pixels and/or severe light bleed being required.
I'm looking at 1440p monitors because I'm not sure if 1080p would be a substantial enough improvement over my current 1650x1050 one to warrant the cost of upgrading. The 2795 seems unique in that it offers a PWM free monitor that can overclock to at least 96hz due to being single input.