Crowd-Funded Cusby Tackles MacBook's USB Type-C Connectivity Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
To be honest, this solution looks ugly. I would much rather take the solution that acts as a stand for your laptop, a battery, and a bunch of other ports. That is not only thought out better, but it actually makes the Macbook having 1 port look less silly.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
To be honest, this solution looks ugly. I would much rather take the solution that acts as a stand for your laptop, a battery, and a bunch of other ports. That is not only thought out better, but it actually makes the Macbook having 1 port look less silly.
Maybe like a flat dock that raises it about a port's height? It'd be out of the way and wouldn't raise the laptop's angle.

Dan414

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
I really wish Apple had put another port on the other side, but remind me again why you need multiple ports? USB 3.1 is supposed to allow charging from other devices like a monitor, which has to be plugged in already, while still delivering data. If you need to plug in a flash drive, you can do that at the monitor or whatever device you're using

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I really wish Apple had put another port on the other side, but remind me again why you need multiple ports? USB 3.1 is supposed to allow charging from other devices like a monitor, which has to be plugged in already, while still delivering data. If you need to plug in a flash drive, you can do that at the monitor or whatever device you're using

I want to charge it while using my mouse. That's a pretty common request.

Dan414

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

You have a mouse with USB type-c connector?
The simplest solution is a wireless mouse. But if you want to use a legacy USB type A mouse, you'll need an adaptor anyway.

Edit: Also, using a mouse, you miss out on the force-touch enabled trackpad, which is conveniently built in.

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Yes, I'm not sure if its being crowdfunded or already exists, but I have seen it somewhere.

Basic usage scenarios have caused Apple's form over function motif for this piece of equipment to be a serious constraint. Equipment is generally meant to be used, not just looked at. In regards the engineering of a complete item, Apple has demonstrated yet again how very short sighted they are. What is the actual problem these devices are being created to solve, the need for better looking equipment, or the need to get work done? Sounds like somebody has a Don Quixote problem of championing solutions to problems that aren't really there, while ignoring actual needs.

Dan414

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

Anyone buying the MacBook is probably buying it for form as a part of its function (light, thin, easy to carry or put in a bag). The internals are not designed for heavy processing. The flexibility of the type-C connector allows the single port option to work, even without chunky adapters like this, for the target audience of this hardware.

And in the end, if you charge enough windmills, you'll find giants eventually.

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

The need was a thinner laptop and I doubt they could have added more ports to the Macbook. I think Apple was testing waters. While USB-C is revolutionary, it only benefits from more USB-C ports. While your argument is very valid, I think it can be countered by the future implementation of more than one USB-C port on a laptop, which I know Apple and other companies will do :)

It's not that most people want multiple C ports ( though I'm sure some do ), they're asking for a regular A port on the other side. Type-C components just barely hit the market and weren't even out when the new MB released. This meant the port was useless for the first few months unless you wanted to buy an expensive Apple adapter. This was just Apple showing yet again that they don't care much for their existing customers. Like the change from 30-pin to Lightning, why didn't they include the A-C adapter with every purchase? Everyone that had purchased any kind of cable or adapter for any earlier MacBook ( or dock in terms of the iPhone switch to Lightning, ) was left out. A type-C on one side and a type-A on the other would have meant it was future focused, but still usable with current stuff.

And I get the feeling that if someone wanted to use the trackpad instead of a mouse, regardless of whatever force touch features you have, they wouldn't have a gotten a mouse.

I'm not really certain what the Cusby is trying to do. Or rather I get what it's trying to do, but I don't think it's actually succeeding. From their own page they're saying the problem with the MacBook is the single port for all wired connectivity, same thing I said above. They say, "By limiting the new MacBook to a single USB port, users are forced to buy expensive "name brand" adapters to sync multiple devices directly to their laptops." Are they really that oblivious in self-awareness?

An Apple adapter that gives HDMI, USB A, and USB C ports is $80. You have to pay $75 to get a Cusby that does the same thing. The one advantage on the Cusby is a second type-C port, but the overall thing is much larger than Apple's offering. So that's maybe a tie. Apple offers a simple C to A adapter for $20. Cusby wants twice as much, though in Cusby's favor, you do have both A and C options open to use both at the same time. Still, $40 for that?

Yes, Cusby is giving options. But I thought they wanted to get away from "expensive 'name brand' adapters".

Status
Not open for further replies.