Crucial 500GB SSD Problems

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
I purchased a SSD card from Crucial for a new PC build which worked fine.

Two months later out of no where I got a blue screen error following which I could not recover or repair my copy of Windows (which was installed on the SSD). I also started experienced GPU problems with failed HDMI sockets (it would only work with Displayport).

I do not know if both are connected but I got a more powerful PSU and a new GPU. I am now trying to see if I can recover my SSD.

Currently my SSD does not show in a SATA slot in my BIOS. My HDD and DVD Drive do but not the SSD. Logging into Windows 10 and looking at the devices and drives in This PC my SSD drive shows as a USB Drive. I know that this is it because if I unplug the SSD from the motherboard then that USB Drive doesnt show.

I cannot access that USB Drive and when I try it tells me to insert a disk into it. In Disk Management it does not show as a storage device but is listed until device management as a Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device. Trying to search online with it to update its drivers says the best ones are installed.

Is this a failed SSD? A driver issue? Or is there something else going on?

Lutfij

Titan
TO me it looks like a dead SSD. You could however try and make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard and then have the SSD connected off the first SATA port native to your chipset with no other storage devices connected.

Speaking of connected, might it be possible to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Also list the old PSU you were using as well as it's age. Might I ask if you unplugged the SSD while the system is running?

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
CPU: i7-8700k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Socket Ultra Gaming V1.0
Ram: 32GB
SSD/HDD: Crucial MX500 (500GB SSD) + 1TB HDD
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070
PSU: The new PSU is 750w Gold EVGA, previous was 500w Bronze EVGA (5 years old)
Chassis: Cooler Master Silenco 352, 2 CPU fans, 3 case fans.

Yes I have also run the system with the SSD unplugged. Thats how I figured out it was showing as a USB drive.