Question Crucial DDR5 4800 ram stuck at 2400mhz, i can't find the problem?

raycey345

Commendable
Sep 27, 2020
Hi. Before i say anything, here's my specs:
Asus gaming wifi z790i
i7 12700kf
1TB WD SN850X M.2
Crucial RAM CT2K32G48C40U5 64GB Kit (2x32GB) DDR5 4800MHz
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So yesterday i got my new pc build up and running then i realize applications and games load slow and taking forever. I mean im coming from a very old generation pc and even that runs faster than my new build. I looked in bios settings to see if anything default needs to be changed, seem good at first. Then i did some research here on reddit and on youtube to find out if there could be any other problems, so ram i checked and to find out its not running its full 4800mhz, it's stuck at 2400mhz. So i did some more research to see if i could fix it in bios. Here's what i did so far:

1. Ive changed tried enabling XMP I and II and changing the XMP profile option from the default
  2. with that, i tried changing the DRAM VOD voltage and DRAM VDDQ voltage from 1.1volts to 1.2
  3. I've also tried changing the PMIC voltages from "sync all pmics" to "by per pmic"

Note: You know where you change the ram speeds, it's all greyed out will like 2 available options that have liek 1333mhz or something like that.

I'm running out of options, i've tried everything and no luck. Is there something i missed out or is it just my ram isnt compatible with my cpu or motherboard?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Where are you checking your RAM speed? A lot of software will list the speed before the fact that DDR stands for double data rate is taken into consideration.

Also, was this a fresh, full, install? If the RAM isn't the only underlying issue, this is always a good opportunity to make sure corners weren't cut.

raycey345

Commendable
Sep 27, 2020
Where are you checking your RAM speed? A lot of software will list the speed before the fact that DDR stands for double data rate is taken into consideration.

Also, was this a fresh, full, install? If the RAM isn't the only underlying issue, this is always a good opportunity to make sure corners weren't cut.

LOL im so dumb. It's not the ram that's the problem but i learn something today. When i bought the ram i was expecting each ram to run at 4800mhz, but that's not the case. Dual channel is 2400mhz each. Oh yea the problem was i had games/applications running off a usb 3.0 drive and a mechanical drive at that. I really never had that problem on my old system so still i found it odd but that seems to be what the problem is.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
LOL im so dumb. It's not the ram that's the problem but i learn something today. When i bought the ram i was expecting each ram to run at 4800mhz, but that's not the case. Dual channel is 2400mhz each. Oh yea the problem was i had games/applications running off a usb 3.0 drive and a mechanical drive at that. I really never had that problem on my old system so still i found it odd but that seems to be what the problem is.

Don't feel bad. Any fixes that don't involve money are good ones!

I or someone else definitely would have said something you had mentioned you were running games off a USB drive! That's definitely not ideal! Probably the difference in your perception is that your new PC is fast enough for the difference to matter. You may not notice whether your car's brakes are good performing when you're just commuting to work, but you would definitely be aware of how the brakes are working towing a small U-Haul trailer through the mountains!