Crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2 SSD Recognition Problem

vikingbread

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Hello everyone,

Over the last few days I've been trying to recover my main SSD (With OS), but to no avail. The SSD gets recognized in the device manager, but says no driver can be found.

Using a backup hard disk with Windows 7 on it, I tried connecting the device. It pops up on the device manager, but says no driver can be found. Due to the old nature of the backup disk, I don't have the drivers for my motherboard, and thus no access to the internet. (I do,however, have a dvd reader and a RW disk)

I briefly managed to install a driver, and ran a surface test before it crashed.
The model is a Crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2. Can it be fixed by downloading a driver or other steps or am I screwed?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Well besides trying it out with a different computer, to see if you'd be able to perform any of the aforementioned suggestions, there's not much else you can try, if the drive is not recognized. If you still have the same issue when you connect it to a different computer, I'd recommend that you contact the SSD manufacturer's customer support and ask for further instructions and if you can RMA it, if it's still under warranty.
Hey there, vikingbread.

I'd recommend that you check if the SSD has firmware update available and install it, if it does. You should also download an SSD diagnostics tool to test the drive and see what's the situation with it. It would be even better if you could find a different computer to test the SSD with (but I guess you would have already done that if you had the option).
If you don't have any data which you wish to recover, you could also try secure erasing it, if it's recognized by the program (usually the manufacturers offer SSD utility programs with which to manage the drive).

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

vikingbread

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

The problem is the moment I do any action to the drive, it dissapears from my device manager and my computer hangs for a moment.

Well besides trying it out with a different computer, to see if you'd be able to perform any of the aforementioned suggestions, there's not much else you can try, if the drive is not recognized. If you still have the same issue when you connect it to a different computer, I'd recommend that you contact the SSD manufacturer's customer support and ask for further instructions and if you can RMA it, if it's still under warranty.

Solution