crucial m550 SSD write speed reduced dramatically. any clues? Using mac mini 2012 and el capitan.

sims09

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
when i installed this drive in the 2012 mac mini, it worked like an SSD should. 400+ Mbps speed. Now it is down to 15Mbps write speed. I don't know what could have happened in the last few months?

I did upgrade to El Capitan. And I upgrade my RAM to 16GB of RAM from 4GB. The computer does not hang or crash since the RAM upgrade.

Any clues as to how to diagnose or fix the problem? It is a nightmare!

sims09

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

80GB free on a 250GB drive.
The disk had only 7GB free two days ago.
Then I deleted a bunch of data and am down to 80GB free.

Such a dramatic slow down?

sims09

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

Thanks for the quick reply. Reduces my anxiety some.

Now that the has had 70+GB, do I need to do something to regain the speed?

Some places on the internet mention TRIM and such. But that only seems to push speed by by 10% or so.
My computer is in the dumps right now...

sims09

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

Something strange is going on. It seems the write speed has fallen drastically, but the read speed is decent. Isn't that what this BlackMagic test showing?

image.png

Looks like it.

Have you run a SSD diagnostic tool yet to make sure your drive is healthy?

Here is a good free utility to use to check drive health:http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

sims09

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

I will run this diagnostic. In the meantime, I ran Trimforce enable on the drive and deleted a 50GB of files. The performance has improved dramatically.

So now wondering, if I should also upgrade the firmware on the drive.

Thanks for the help!

No problem, glad to hear it is starting to improve.

I doubt the firmware needs updating, the less you have to change the better. If the drive is running within acceptible speeds again there's not any need to keep tinkering.

sims09

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

I feel the same way. If not broken, why fix.