[SOLVED] Crucial MX500 m.2 drive not being recognized

Jan 21, 2020
I recently rebuilt my PC with an ASUS ROG Strix B450-F mobo, Ryzen 2700, and added in a Crucial MX500 m.2 SATA drive. The OS is Windows 10 Home.

I installed the MX500 in the top m.2 slot (nearest the CPU), the documentation indications this slot is for SATA drives.

First boot, the MX500 was showing up in the BIOS and also in the disk manager in Windows, but not Windows Explorer. In the disk manager, there was an automatic pop-up requesting to choose a partition type between GUID or MBR. I selected GUID. The drive disappeared from the disk manager window afterwards.

I rebooted my machine, the MX500 no longer appeared in the BIOS or the drive manager. I tried some tools like running testdisk, which did not even find the drive at all, nor did any other method of drive detection.

Finally, I removed and then reinstalled the MX500 in the same m.2 slot, the red light on the MX500 was still on just like on first boot, but still not being detected at all.

I don't really know what to do at this point besides just returning it and getting a replacement. I don't know if I bricked the drive somehow when disk manager asking me to choose a partition type. Nothing I've tried has brought it back, but the drive is clearly still working in some capacity since the red disk light still comes on. Even Crucial's own Storage Executive software doesn't detect the drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions or an answer for what may be happening and any way to fix it? Anyone else with this same specific combination of components (Strix B450-F and MX500 m.2) have their drive installed in the top m.2 slot with it working?

Solution
Your drive is in the correct socket, but be aware that it conflicts with the SATA ports SATA6G_5 and SATA6G_6. These are the two topmost SATA ports. I'm also guessing it was GPT when you saw it in Disk Management which shouldn't be an issue.
Jan 21, 2020
Can you show screenshots from
Device Manager (disk drives section expanded),​
Disk Management and​
Windows Storage spaces?​
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Not really sure how this is going to help considering there's literally nothing there related to the MX500. If you can offer me some reasoning then I'll upload screenshots. I can tell you what they'll look like, though: No MX500.

Jan 21, 2020
It's quite easy to miss some little detail. Screenshots would show that.

Anyway - if you can't show anything, then based on your descriptions alone, I'd assume your MX500 is dead.

Since I'm back on that PC now, I took some screenshots: View: https://imgur.com/a/jhjgrFJ

Nothing interesting. I've tried booting without the external connected or the WD drive. Even with only the boot drive connected, it still doesn't show up.

I would also think it's dead but it's strange that I was able to choose a partition type and the disk light is still on. I guess I'll send it back.

Your drive is in the correct socket, but be aware that it conflicts with the SATA ports SATA6G_5 and SATA6G_6. These are the two topmost SATA ports. I'm also guessing it was GPT when you saw it in Disk Management which shouldn't be an issue.

Solution
Mar 18, 2020
I recently rebuilt my PC with an ASUS ROG Strix B450-F mobo, Ryzen 2700, and added in a Crucial MX500 m.2 SATA drive. The OS is Windows 10 Home.

I installed the MX500 in the top m.2 slot (nearest the CPU), the documentation indications this slot is for SATA drives.

First boot, the MX500 was showing up in the BIOS and also in the disk manager in Windows, but not Windows Explorer. In the disk manager, there was an automatic pop-up requesting to choose a partition type between GUID or MBR. I selected GUID. The drive disappeared from the disk manager window afterwards.

I rebooted my machine, the MX500 no longer appeared in the BIOS or the drive manager. I tried some tools like running testdisk, which did not even find the drive at all, nor did any other method of drive detection.

Finally, I removed and then reinstalled the MX500 in the same m.2 slot, the red light on the MX500 was still on just like on first boot, but still not being detected at all.

I don't really know what to do at this point besides just returning it and getting a replacement. I don't know if I bricked the drive somehow when disk manager asking me to choose a partition type. Nothing I've tried has brought it back, but the drive is clearly still working in some capacity since the red disk light still comes on. Even Crucial's own Storage Executive software doesn't detect the drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions or an answer for what may be happening and any way to fix it? Anyone else with this same specific combination of components (Strix B450-F and MX500 m.2) have their drive installed in the top m.2 slot with it working?
Did you manage to fix the problem? I have the same board and ssd and it is also showing red.