Crucial not to my expectations

G

ARRGGGGGHHHHH!!

For those considering Crucial to OC, I wouldn't recommend it if you want to go high. I had a stick of normal 256 Micron (not crucial) CL3 Ram and I OC'ed it in my Abit Kt7araid
to 149mhz at CL2 (which was weird since it clearly is stated on Micron's page it is CL3). I could get 9.5x 149 and 10x 145 no problem. Everyone said Crucial's micron memory was faster and OC's better so I bought a stick of that (256 @CL2)- basically same stick but CL2. Did I expect it to go faster? Hell yes! Did it? Hell No!

SAME EXACT SETTINGS- can't run it at 9.5x 141 or higher- locks up like a prison. The strange crap is it will run at 10x 144 and lower. But the bandwidth is not close to my sandra tests from the old stick. Apparently in Micron's world the normal micron chip it is better than crucial's. (FYI- Sandra says the micron has Xerox chips on it, while the crucial has micron chips.)

I tried the crucial at CL3 in the bios- no difference. Still locks.

For those with Abit's help me here- I left the settings with what worked well for the micron...my adv bios (top down)is at turbo, no delay, hi, 2. Maybe crucial needs diff setts but I can't see it.

So now I guess I pay the 20% restock fee and get the Mushkin for twice as much like I should have in the first place. Everybody says Crucial should go 147 @CL2 no prob and 160+ at CL3. WTF is going on here!

G

I don't think manufacturers usually guarantee their product can overclock at all.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
True, there is no guarantee that the memory will overclock. But in my experience, I've had good results with Crucial.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Luck of knowledge is a bad thing. You cant overclock anything above 147 with cas2. I mean no memory will go higher without any problems. I have the 256 stick you are talking about, and I can go with 152 at 2x2x2 on CULS2-C, but it acts kinda funny at the boot time, runs fine though. I can go 160 with 3x3x3 without any problems at all, 166 windows will not load. But the thing to yer question is that the farther you go the bigger latency you have to set, otherwise you'll kill your memory or something else. It is like you can pool 100 pounds without any problem, but with 200 you will have to rest a little after each step in order to finish the job and not die at the end if you don’t rest. Same there... heh
By the way, not every mobo will allow you to overclock a lot.

K7 + KT7A + MX300 + VooDoo3000 = :smile:
P3 + CUSL2-C + MX300 + Asus7700 = :smile:

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You cant overclock anything above 147 with cas2. I mean no memory will go higher without any problems
Mushkin guarentees that their <A HREF="http://www.mushkin.com/cgi-bin/Mushkin.filereader?3a9bbc390dda9282273f0a000102060c+EN/products/990595" target="_new"><i>High Performance REV 3 222</i></A> will reach 150Mhz at CAS 222. I saw a review (can't remember where) where it hit 160Mhz at 222.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Same experience here with Crucial-147 at Cas2 but higher requires Cas3 setting in Bios. Tested on multiple pieces, every one gave the same results. But then agian he could have got a flawed piece or maybe he has a VIA chipset with a minor memory timing problem.

Suicide is painless...........

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tell them you already own one module, same part number, and the new one does not work but the old one does. That way you won't have to admit to overclocking. Are you sure you ordered Cas2? Maybe you got the wrong one or it was mismarked?

Sumadin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
I just spent a good chunk of change on some of the Mushkin memory myself.
I purchased some of the REV3 CAS2 stuff.
It wasnt cheap but top quality usually isnt.
At least the FedEx 2 day was free LOL

I'm pretty sure I've removed any possible problems due to SDRAM by buying this stuff.

<font color=red>Sumadin</font color=red>

<font color=blue>"A mind is a terrible thing"</font color=blue>

G

I ran the norton diagnostics on my mem and it gave me a bad address failure once- when I rebooted it was gone. I could have gotton a bad stick I suppose- BUT, they need to check it before it ships instead of messing up my system and causing me lost time and $. Not very good quality control if you ask me. How can a company claim to be the best if they don't quality check their sh_t. It may be good for the price- like I could settle for spending $94 for 256megs but for high-end performance, I think it blows and I have proof.

Somebody else that has the cheaper sibling "Micron" brand memory tell me if they also OC'ed higher than the crucial.

All I know is I called them up, waited 45min on hold to talk to someone about returning it, got transfered to tech supprort (lesson here, don't wait for cust. supp if you are returning- should've said it in their menu!)waited another 25 min and finaly had to pull their teeth out before they gave me an RMA. I did NOT hint that I was OC'ing either.

I then went promptly to Mushkin's site and ordered the Rev3 stick. I'll let you know how that is in a few days if anyone is interested in a comparison on a abit A-raid w/ a 1.2g OC'd.

-----------------------------------------------
Screw the risks!
-Street

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This is actually the first complaint I've heard about Crucial sending someone a bad chip. One bad out of the hundreds of Crucial chips people on these forums have is not a high failure rate! All quality companies strive for 0 reterns, but no company can claim that! I know how it feels to get the "one in a thousand" bad product, so I can sympathise with you, but that would still not make Crucial a bad company. For the majority of people in here, Crucial is still a great deal!

G

I'm sure you are right. It sounds like others are happy. I am just voicing my opinions so that the "high-enders" aren't in the same boat as I- not for tha bad chip but the marginal OC'ing ability.

Afterall, Crucial doesn't endorse or guarantee OC like Mushkin, but it's 1/2 the cost, so I shouldn't have expected too much. Sorry for the Crucial bash, guess I spent too much time on hold at over an hour. I get angry at any company that does that. It probably wasn't from all the calls for returns or problems though, maybe siesta time.

Screw the risks!
-Street-AMD 1450Mhz-Abit KT7A-Raid-256CL2-Fop38

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Generally speaking, most people will not fork out the extra money for Mushkin. For those people, Crucial and generic, and a few lesser name brands are the choices. Crucial is offering higher quality chips than other common brands, and they are much more reliable than the generics. But every company has an occasional defect. I just want to make sure that we do not talk the newbies into buying generic instead, which has a far greater chance of not meeting their expectations.

G

Absolutely, crash! You are a good guy thinking of newbies, since we all live and learn.

I was also very happy with the micron memory (xerox chips), as another inexpensive alternative.
It clocked higher and benched better than it's brother.
<A HREF="http://www.micron.com/products/dram/index.html " target="_new">http://www.micron.com/products/dram/index.html </A>

Lots more tech info here on the memory most of which directly applies to Crucial- Except the MT is a CT at the front of the chip #. Way better to have data sheets than the lack of this kind of info at the crucial site (unless I didn't see it).

Screw the risks!

G

And for the newbies don't forget to look at Corsair and Kingston as good brands also.

Screw the risks!

Sumadin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
100% quality or zero defects is impossible.
Though if the manufacturing process is good enough,the chances of defects getting through to the end user are EXTREMELY small.
If anyone knows about Statistical Process Control , you know what I'm talking about.

I saw a post somewhere that somebody using Norton Utilities determined the rram to be bad. The techie at the memory place told the guy that Norton Utilities was not reliable. Was that you Street?

<font color=red>Sumadin</font color=red>

<font color=blue>"A mind is a terrible thing"</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Sumadin on 02/28/01 02:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS