Review Crucial P3 Plus SSD Review: Capacity on the Cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
This is impressive, is anyone else achieving QLC on charge trap NAND yet? 220 cycles is respectable for a first attempt.
As far as I know this is the first charge trap QLC ssd on the market. Microns old QLC drives and NAND(Which they sell to Rocket and others) were all based on Floating Gate NAND they co-developed with Intel now Solidigm which Hynix bought from Intel (Solidigm , lame name). Micron's old QLC SSD drive was essentially identical to Intel's 660p or 665p(Identical NAND, different controller tuning). Solidgm is the only NAND manufacturer still utilizing charge trap storage which appears to have an inherrent advantage at multiple charge states per cell compared to charge trap which the other NAND makers are utilizing (Samsung, Hynix, Micron). This is supported by Solidigm being the first to show off PLC tech based on floating gate. With charge trap successfully making it to market with QLC it's still in the race for adding addition bits per cell but likely 2-3 years behind (based on the first qlc drive which came out 2019 - Intel 660p).

Last edited:
Reactions: gg83

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
The reduced performance doesn't bother me, the price of these SSDs is very attractive.

However, the reduced endurance guarantees does have me a little worried.

200TBW is still decent because most end users do not overwrite their drives that many times (if you do, you need a bigger drive).

But the cost $189 for 2TB. You can find many TLC drives at that price range too.

Status
Not open for further replies.