Question Crucial SSD getting recognized as Samsung SSD due to cloning

archz2

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
I cloned my 1TB Samsung Evo 980 SSD, which was installed in my laptop as the only storage device, to a new 2TB Crucial SSD using Macrium Reflect. The new SSD is functioning well, but in the Device Manager, it is recognized as a Samsung Evo. What should I do? I also installed the official driver from Crucial's website but I still face the same issue.

Would 'uninstall device' the SSD from device manager and rebooting the laptop fix the issue? I am worried that doing so would stop my SSD getting detected altogether.

My Windows 11 is up-to-date and no updates are showing up in windows update section.

I'm guessing the laptop does not support 2 internal drives at all. Is that right?

Did you do the Macrium cloning with the Crucial mounted internally? Or externally via a USB cable?

As of right now, is the Crucial the ONLY internal SSD in the machine?

Was your first boot attempt after the clone done with ONLY the Crucial connected?

Reactions: archz2

archz2

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
I'm guessing the laptop does not support 2 internal drives at all. Is that right?

Yes. It only supports one SSD. That's it. No more internal storage device is supported.

Did you do the Macrium cloning with the Crucial mounted internally? Or externally via a USB cable?

The Crucial SSD was connected via an external casing with USB.

As of right now, is the Crucial the ONLY internal SSD in the machine?

Yes. The Crucial SSD is the only one inside my laptop. The samsung one is outside now. Not connected at all.

Was your first boot attempt after the clone done with ONLY the Crucial connected?

After the cloning, I shutdown my laptop and replaced Samsung SSD with Crucial SSD.

Last edited:

archz2

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
If there is a firmware update though it might then change the windows detection of the ssd. Just a thought.
There's only one zip file available on the page whose I shared. No further firmware updates are available. Even when I check for updates in device manager, it says that the latest drivers are already installed.