Crucial Study Finds that Computers Cause Stress

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

camel82

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
LUsers causes stress to Sysadmins, computers causes stress to LUsers.
It is the circle of life: thou shall be LUser or Sysadmin, but you will end up having stress anyway at the end of the day.

simond_08

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Building my own PC was a good move, with an AMD 6 core, 6 GB Ram and a SSD for Windows, speed has never been a problem. Of course you always want more. Windows boots up in less than 20 seconds, is not overworked with 3 users logged in at any time and running VMs such as Windows 8 trial is not a problem.

randomizer

Champion
My office development machine has only 4GB of RAM and a fairly poor HDD. It takes 2 minutes to open a relatively small Visual Studio solution to the point of being usable if I have the Resharper plugin enabled and at least half of my RAM remaining. Should I try to open two instances of VS... well, the time until it's usable only goes up.

Stress? Maybe. Frustration and a tendency to want to bash my head on the desk? Absolutely.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
lol...stupid people cause stress to themselves...if it does not work talk to your IT, if they can't fix it or take to long, then just shut it down and wait....this way if you boss asks you why aren't you working, all you have to do is say that you are waiting for the IT department....problem solved...now the IT has to deal with your boss not you....no stress

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
The Windows OS can have that effect, viruses, corrupted Registries, lag response as it clogs up over time and a myriad of other issues in the NSA co-authored spyware.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]whitey_rolls1984[/nom]A good chunk of this too could come from the corporate world as well. I worked at a place from 2008 to 2011 and my computer there caused me stress. It was a job where I would get a phone call and be expected to use my computer in order to discuss matters with a client. My computer was like a p4 with 256 mb of memory. Thankfully the place I'm at now just gave me a $1,800 HP laptop with a Core I7, Nvidia workstation GPU and 8 gigs of memory - no more stress.[/citation]

haha yep, same issue here...call center and the computers are too slow and the servers are too slow. And then as it gets busy sometimes it just breaks down and we can't do some of the work. Thats how all the stress starts...at home I have computers with i5's and i7 with SSD and yea, no problems. Never had stress with those comps.

This is a good study that should be going to the management of large companies who do have a work force using computers to show how it can affect their work.

halcyon

Splendid
I work for a gov't agency and I can tell you there is a lot of stressed caused by lack of performance on the client systems. Not because the systems are weak but because there's so much security on the systems that their performance is greatly diminished. Between Pointsec/CheckPoint drive encryption and McAfee molesting the OS in every way it can its a wonder the users can get anything done at all. ...but at least we have the illusion of higher security, eh?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Then something is wrong with your hardware, or yourself. If you have these sorts of problems on clean installs with no internet, you're doing something seriously wrong and should probably stick to Macs as you've implied. The odd badly written program might cause this, but that can happen on any system and is usually fixed quickly with a patch if said company wants to stay alive.

Again, hire new IT people because the ones that let their networks get like that are idiots, and this has nothing to do with PCs, hardware or software.[/citation]

If you check Steam's forums, there are still complaints about some of Valve's games, such as TF2 or HL2, having issues with the DEP. Valve also specifically stated that DEP should be disabled for TF2, though Windows doesn't allow HL2.exe to be excluded.

You also forgot about the management. A computer-ignorant superior (or a group of them) can easily deprive the tech department of funding or just being a roadblock.

"Why upgrade from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 7 if the NT still works fine?"

xIronhidePro

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Yes and no, a lot of times after a day of hard work at School, I look forward to my computer and gaming - I would even go so far as to say it's almost my life ^^. (I do have friends:L) - BUT: Computer can cause stress if for example:

1. Freezing
2. Virus(es)
3. Slow
Ect..

Status
Not open for further replies.