Question Cryorig h7 cpu fan twitches

Fengzhu88

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
So I booted up my pc two days ago after coming home from work, and saw that the cpu fan was not spinning. It will twitch a little every few seconds to 10 seconds or so. I unplugged everything from the case and let it sit for 30 minutes before cleaning the dust out of the tower. There was a lot of dust, especially around the heat sink of the cpu cooler. I then waited about 45 minutes to an hour and plugged everything back into the case and flipped the power switch back on. The fan started spinning again for two days until today when I came home from work and booted it up. Now it's doing the same exact thing.

My guess at this point is that it's probably the cpu fan itself might need to be replaced. Any thoughts?

Yes, it's likely the CPU fan. One thing to check though is the fan curve in the BIOS. IF the fan curve, for whatever reason, is set with too low of a minimum speed, these PWM fans will tend to not want to start and will just twitch like that.

It could also be an issue with the fan header itself. I would try bumping the minimum speed of the fan header CPU_FAN in the BIOS just a little bit and see if the problem resolves itself.

Sometimes as well when the fan motor gets old it takes a little more to get it going. IF that doesn't work, then I'd say you need to replace it and this would be an excellent, better than the original, option.

PCPartPicker Part List

Case Fan: Noctua - NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan ($22.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $22.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-26 23:21 EDT-0400

This would be even better than that, being probably about the very best 120mm PWM high static pressure fan currently available in terms of overall performance AND quiet operation, when compared to other fans at the same RPM.

PCPartPicker Part List

Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan ($29.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $29.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-26 23:22 EDT-0400

Fengzhu88

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
I looked in the BIOS and couldn't find anything relating to fan curve. I tried different speeds before to no avail. However, as I'm writing this, I just turned the computer on after letting it sit for hours with everything unplugged and the power supply switch turned off. This time after plugging everything back in and turning the computer on, the fan is now spinning again. Not sure if the fan has a short in it or not.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fans are not impervious to dust. With caked dust blocking airflow, any additional dust will be bounced back towards the motor housing. Now you'll have dust mixed with oil from the bearings messing up the insides of the fan. That's usually called mud. A fan with mud in the motor is shot, doesn't take long to burn out. Too much resistance on the motor.

Take darkbreeze's advice and replace the fan.

A year sure isn't very long for a Cryorig fan to last, however, as Karadjgne indicated if there was a lot of dust on the fan and heatsink, and had not seen regular cleaning, it's really likely the bearing or motor have been contaminated and overheated or just gummed up too much.