Cryptic Warns of Possible Server Hack 16 Months Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
How many of these "whoops, my bad" apologies do we need before companies start taking security seriously? It's not 1990 any more, you need to be proactive.

I bet if we started seeing criminal cases brought against companies who obviously mishandled private information they'd start taking security seriously.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]How many of these "whoops, my bad" apologies do we need before companies start taking security seriously? It's not 1990 any more, you need to be proactive.I bet if we started seeing criminal cases brought against companies who obviously mishandled private information they'd start taking security seriously.[/citation]

I totally agree man. We need to set up some kind of policy that incentive the need for better security.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]How many of these "whoops, my bad" apologies do we need before companies start taking security seriously? It's not 1990 any more, you need to be proactive.I bet if we started seeing criminal cases brought against companies who obviously mishandled private information they'd start taking security seriously.[/citation]

The answer is easy... When people stop paying a company for crappy service (or buying it's related products).

Would you trust your money on a bank that gets robbed every week?

The answer, I will concede, is not "black and white", but you get the bottom of my argument.

Cheers!

I dont get this. Our businneses take credit cards that are processed on our computer.
4 times a year I have to log into one of their websites and then for 4 hours they try to hack into my computer.
I always score 98 on the test. 2 points off because my computer is pingable.
Funny thing is I never changed any of my security measures. I have always had my network set up this way.
I have been running wireles since the early 90s when it was 1mb. 2mb(mebabits) if you had the upgraded antennae and was $4000 for two direct connect boxes and standard antennae.
My wife laughed at me when I made antennaes out of coffee cans.But they worked very well and did not cost an additional $450 dollars each.

G

... should note that while Cryptic's "behind" City of Heroes, they haven't been involved with it for a few years now. CO and STO though... >.< yeah, timely word would have been good.

G

to all those saying to be proactive with security, its hard to justify the cost involved with doing so until something of this magnitude occurs. then focus shifts, and money is spent, then passed on as costs to end users.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Willard, wake the hell up. They ARE taking security seriously. The problem is that you cannot 'predict' every single hole in your security that someone might use to get into your systems.

It's time to stop expecting these companies to be miracle-workers and stop every hack before it happens.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Christopher1[/nom]Willard, wake the hell up. They ARE taking security seriously. The problem is that you cannot 'predict' every single hole in your security that someone might use to get into your systems.It's time to stop expecting these companies to be miracle-workers and stop every hack before it happens.[/citation]
Christopher1, wake the hell up. I'm NOT talking about 0-day exploits. I'm talking about companies who detect intrusions years after the fact because they aren't performing proper audits. I'm talking about companies who let dumbass wannabe hackers like LulzSec in because they have admin accounts with the password admin. I'm talking about companies who don't even try to follow security best practices and as a result, put the personal information of millions of users at risk.

The vast majority of hacks are not super talented people breaking down the security door, so to speak. They're using well known vulnerabilities to exploit systems that would have been secure if they had the latest patches, or bothered to do trivial things like sanitize database inputs. Failure to sanitize DB inputs was actually what allowed the Sony hack last year.

I don't want miracles, I just want competence.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I don't want miracles, I just want competence.[/citation]

Competence means work, work means labor costs. Crossing their fingers and hoping this never happens costs nothing. Which do you expect them to choose? We simply are not going to see companies take security seriously when they are not held responsible even if it is do to their incompetence. It is a total loss for the consumer and since you can't expect government intervention nowadays when it comes to consumer rights nothing will change.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
As long as IT people are on average the most lazy and arrogant people in the universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS