News Crypto Gets Hotter: El Salvador Officially Starts Mining Bitcoin With Volcanic Energy

gargoylenest

Commendable
Jan 13, 2020
aren't volcanoes the biggest natural greenhouse gas emitter? How can that be green? If I make electricity from the pollution emitted by an industry, I wouldn't say my electricity is green.

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
aren't volcanoes the biggest natural greenhouse gas emitter? How can that be green? If I make electricity from the pollution emitted by an industry, I wouldn't say my electricity is green.
Yes, volcanoes are not "clean". But they exist already whether we use them or not. As long as we are not creating volcanic activity ourselves just to use it for energy (please no), it's not adding anything to the existing greenhouse gases that would already be there. At the very least that makes sense. But still, it's a complete waste to use this energy for crypto instead of reducing the dirty fuels that are still being used at the same time.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Unless the crypto is powered entirely by EXCESS renewable energy that would otherwise be lost, crypto is still dirty by consuming power that could be used to shift load away from non-renewable sources.

They probably only mine at night. Given that El Salvador has banned metal mining, there's no industry that could otherwise make use of the output.

TRENDING THREADS