News Crypto Miners Are Painting GDDR Memory to Make Graphics Cards Look New

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

motocros1

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
ive been eyeing used card market for a while now. i'd be willing to buy used if it was at a steep discount. currently that is not the case. 50 bucks less than new for a used card. no thanks

KyaraM

Admirable
"i've heard it may not be that good to buy a used gpu, that can't be right. can it??"

i can't stress it enough or loud enough. THERE IS ZERO REASON TO BUY A USED GPU ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET RIGHT NOW, UNLESS YOU JUST WANT TO THROW AWAY YOUR MONEY!!! YOU ARE 100% GUARANTEED TO BE BUYING A MINING CARD AND 100% GUARANTEED TO BE THROWING YOUR MONEY AWAY.
I wouldn't quite say 100%, but certainly around 90% or so. If I decided to sell my 3070Ti tomorrow, I could guarantee you it was never mined on. It was bought a year ago, and I absolutely detest mining and miners. Then again, the chances for that happening are extremely low since I plan to run this card for at least another year or two. I'm just kinda livid I won't be able to sell it thanks to those scum bags. Guess it will end up in the secondary system when the 1070 fails until then and clearance allows...

KyaraM

Admirable
I just saw the card for 900€ earlier, which is still admittedly far too much; they should be a minimum 200 bucks cheaper to be called reasonable. Let's not even start with the other cards on the market. I'm honestly kinda glad I got my 3070Ti last year for a somewhat reasonable price, so I can get a couple years out of it, at which point prices are either back to be being reasonable, we all died in WW3, or PC gaming died from overprizing and we are playing on consoles. Whatever comes first I guess. And most people here, if you look around a bit, actually do think that way. Most people here are outraged by the new prices. Doesn't change that mining cards are also overpriced and extremely risky, though, and miners shouldn't be rewarded. But whatever, need to get back to work. Have a nice day.

Jan 10, 2023
and thus why we have them happily dumping their crap cards on so many people. some may willingly take the risk, do your thing, but these sleezeballs are clearly making every effort to hide the fact from buyers and tricking them into buying their junk. true so many are going into it with eyes wide shut, but it's hard to open their eyes when folks like you will pretend it is actually a good idea.

do you also forget that the reason the gpu's cost 3x what they used to is specifically due to the miners buying them all up allowing the manufacturer's to keep jacking the price up until they are what we see now. your solution to "they cost too much" is to bail out the people responsible when the mining world fell flat.

enjoy being part of the problem :)

I never said I supported the idea of hiding the fact that a graphics card was used for mining. It is just plain cowardly for sellers to do that.

I also never said buying used GPUs was a solution to "they cost too much". The solution is for manufacturers to deflate their egos. Also, don't forget the economy is a mess right now.

I'm not here to argue, so I'm going to end the conversation here. Have... fun, I guess.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
do you also forget that the reason the gpu's cost 3x what they used to is specifically due to the miners buying them all up allowing the manufacturer's to keep jacking the price up until they are what we see now. your solution to "they cost too much" is to bail out the people responsible when the mining world fell flat.

enjoy being part of the problem
So you're upset that miners caused people to pay more for cards in the past, and your response is to encourage people to pay more for cards now?

You realize that if everyone just buys new, that just supports the high retail prices we're currently seeing (that exist without any pressure from miners), and would encourage those sorts of prices going forward?

If you can test the card before you buy it, and/or buy through a platform like eBay where you know they will strongly favor the buyer in the case of a defective product, I don't see any reason not to go for it if the price is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thorski

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
Nice...
Car "dealers" tricks has arrived in GPU market...
Well actually they have done this for years, but it is good to remain people that it does exist!

"You really oughta buy the undercoating and the rust proofing. And only a fool would leave without the fabric protection. Can I also talk you to about an extended warranty?"