Crypto Mining on an old Dell PC

OzairPc

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
Ok, so I have an old Dell Dimension 3100 (very old search it up) and want to save some money on my first mining rig. I'm thinking of using it as a basis of this new rig.

Of course i will change the power supply to a higher efficiency and wattage rating and upgrade the ram to 2/4gb.

However, I'm planning on two RX580's but I'm stuck on whether the motherboard will support this. It has enough 1x slots for the risers but I don't think the cards will be compatible, I'm not sure if they are pcie.

Also the CPU has only a single 3ghz core, is this too less?

If anyone could help to predict compatibility it would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
That PC only has one PCIe slot (other two are PCI), so at most you'd be able to get one card working with a PCIe x1 to x16 riser. You may run into software issues (OS and/or drivers) given how old that PC is though... i.e. for RX 580s you want the AMD Beta Compute drivers for optimal mining performance, which requires at least Windows 7 64 bit.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
That PC only has one PCIe slot (other two are PCI), so at most you'd be able to get one card working with a PCIe x1 to x16 riser. You may run into software issues (OS and/or drivers) given how old that PC is though... i.e. for RX 580s you want the AMD Beta Compute drivers for optimal mining performance, which requires at least Windows 7 64 bit.

Solution