Cryptocurrency Markets Tumble Following India Finance Minister Speech

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Nope, never said that. In fact, I explicitly stated I don't think the success of crypto as a whole depends on it becoming a replacement for fiat currency.
Also you haven't yet explained how a crypto can work in a world where no government accepts it. i.e. how do you think craptocurrencies can possibly be allowed to exist alongside an actual government-backed currency within the current legal framework? What government would allow this to occur in a significant fashion?
I already explained why I don't think it ultimately matters if governments recognize crypto as legal tender. A crypto token just needs to have value within its given network/ecosystem. And all it needs to do that is be able to be exchanged for something useful/desirable within that network.

For example, consider a video game that has in game currency which can be purchased with fiat currency. It doesn't matter if the government recognizes it, as long as it can be used to buy things which gamers care about, it will have real world value that can be measured in fiat.

A crypto asset could have similar value, but would hopefully have a much broader use case/user base than an in game currency. And that's what I mean by "tech". A blockchain solution that solves a real world problem and provides real world value to its users/customers. I gave an example of Sia cloud storage. Rather than relying on a single entity to store your data, which opens you to possible censorship and/or a single point of failure, you can use distributed solution in which you don't rely on any individual entity.

berezini.2013

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017
The only thing that ecoins could be used for is illegal activities. there is no other application for it. And when something illegal gets shut down price of this will plummet again and again and again and again and again and again and again

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

It's actually worse for alt-coins than BTC since nearly all other coins are traded AGAINST bitcoin. If BTC goes down, the value of your coin goes down. On top of this, people sell to get out of the alt-coin, causing it to go down even further. If BTC goes down 15%, alts tend to drop 30% unless there's some other factor keeping it afloat. That's a 15% loss to the value of BTC and a 15% loss to people getting out and waiting in USDT to buy back in at a lower price.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Goood, goood! Let it fall even more. Crypto trading is perversion of blockchain technology. Something good turned into race for personal gains and pseudo stock market.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Not sure it's what he meant, but when you ascribe value to a fiat currency, you're looking at the amount there is in circulation, the size of the government's economy, the inflation rate, and a belief that they can keep counterfeiting under control and won't start printing loads of it, overnight.

The equivalent trust in crypto would be that it can't be hacked (i.e. transactions being spoofed) - which would immediately kill a coin - and that there's (likewise) not some sort of runaway inflation potential.

Beyond that, you need to believe that others will continue to buy, hold, and accept the coin for goods and services of value. This part is where the speculation comes in, and it can be impacted by various government regulations involving mining, exchanges, and use of crypto coins.

So long as the underlying tech of a popular currency like BTC isn't hacked, I think it'll continue to have nonzero value - even if it's basically limited to being used by the criminal underground. Because it has no industrial or ornamental use use, it's likely always to be less stable than gold, whereas gold's unique chemical properties mean you can be pretty certain there will always be some demand for it.

Governments don't have to accept it, or even allow exchanges in their jurisdiction. All you need is an exchange somewhere in the world that will exchange for USD/Euro. Of course, if all such exchanges are foreign, then actually doing anything with that money turns into a conventional money laundering problem. So, if all major governments banned exchanges, then it would significantly erode the value of crypto coins.

I get everything you're saying and, like you say, that's a whole lot of "ifs" that investors are relying on. You did forget to mention that transactions can't be cleared when no one is mining BitCoin, since mining is the only activity right now that verifies the blockchain. How can the "value" of that particular currency hold if the price gets to a point where either it's not worth it to mine or when all the coins have been mined already? Wouldn't that directly result in there being no possible exchange of the "currency" with anyone anywhere for anything?

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Bitcoin is a farce. Hardly anyone accepts it as payment and it's now way too late to join as a private party and mine your own as there is no truly efficient way to do so without spending tens of thousands of dollars up front. And even then, there is no guarantee of profit whatsoever. Bitcoin is only for the rich to get richer. I love capitalism, but Bitcoin isn't it.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
True! USA went bancrupt by trying to send people to the moon while waging a war in Vietnam.
The net value of USA is still negative, if I'm not mistaken...

I disagree. It's currencies, just like USD, EUR or GBP, and also just like those it's not money.
BTC was invented with the expressed intention to act like a currency with no bills or coins, and no political influence/supervision.

For historical reason the value of gold is tied to the USD while the value of Sterling silver is tied to the GBP ("One £ of silver").

The "gambling" part is fairly new in terms of crypto currencies.
Small national currencies have also earlier been subject to speculation with huge swings in their nominal value.

Yes there is, as has been proven repeatedly!
There are really only two downsides compared to regular currencies:
1. They're small, and therefore volatile once speculation comes into play.
2. The exchange fees are ridiculusly high.
These two points have made some Swedish businesses to stop accepting BTC as payment.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

The last bitcoin won't be mined until approximately 2140, so that's not exactly a pressing problem. If bitcoin is still in use at that time, a proposed solution is to increase transaction fees to pay miners.

The thing with mining is that the difficulty is dynamic. If it gets to the point where it's highly unprofitable and people stop, the difficulty will drop until it gets to the point where it becomes profitable again and things stabilize.

I disagree. It's currencies, just like USD, EUR or GBP, and also just like those it's not money.
BTC was invented with the expressed intention to act like a currency with no bills or coins, and no political influence/supervision.[/quotemsg]
For bitcoin sure, it was definitely intended to be a currency, at least in the beginning. I was talking about the crypto market as a whole, with the various altcoins/tokens out there. They're all commonly referred to as cryptocurrencies, but many of them were never planned to be used in the way a fiat currency would.

Edit: This may just be a matter of semantics. When I talk about crypto being used as currency, I'm talking about it being used by the average joe to buy stuff as he goes about his day, with the same speed/fees/ease as using cash or a credit card to buy a cup of coffee. There are many crypto coins that have no intention of being used like this, and I'm skeptical bitcoin will ever get there either.

Oh ok, that's interesting. Ihe BitCoin blockchain has already gotten so long, that it takes on average 30 minutes to clear a transaction, and it's only going to go up from there. Again, I come back to my point: if it wants to be a "currency" it needs to behave like one and "price" stability is just one issue I have with it. Can you imagine waiting half an hour at a supermarket or gas station to clear payment when with actual money you can do so in literal seconds?
https://coincentral.com/how-long-do-bitcoin-transfers-take/

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Like I said, bitcoin may never be suitable for high volume and/or low value transactions (something which a working currency should be able to be used for) but I don't think that necessarily invalidates it. That being said, many people even within the crypto community dislike bitcoin for the exact reasons you're talking about i.e. not practical to use as a digital currency as originally planned, and doesn't really have any other application or use case other than a 'store of value' (which it doesn't do very well either due to volatility). There are proposed changes to the protocol to address scaling issues and improve transaction times/fees, but it remains to be seen how the pan out. E.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Network

haamiah

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
Your all mistaken if you thing GPU´s will drop price, consider that with such high demand of GPU´s and yet producers dont keep up with it ?! they are the ones creating the high price with short production.
We might see growing offer on used cards and those ,yes , might drop in asked value and as someone said, it´s a risky market ,so people will aim for new GPU´s...so producers wont loose the chance of capital loss by lowering prices.
As for the drop of cryptocurrencies value, it´s nothing else than established forces trying to regain command of fiat control over peoples...they had a litlle taste of what cryptocurrencies can do to theyr established powers and they fear it so bad that they are using all theyr power to make it go away...but as Churchill said "we´ll never surrender" ;)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Oops, there's one party I forgot to mention - one that many overlook, especially when lauding cryptocurrencies' "de-centralized" nature - the core developers. They update protocol and underlying software, potentially adding controversial features like SegWit, or not - as in the schism that eventually gave rise to Bitcoin Cash. They're human (as far as we know ; ) and are therefore subject to corruption, coercion, misjudgement, and complacency.

So, by holding - or even using - a given crytpocurrency, you're putting no insubstantial amount of faith in the core developers. This is a far smaller group of individuals than the decision makers in most governments. They're not elected, and - unlike the bureaucrats who actually run real central banks - you have no idea how much they actually know about either crypto or currencies. But we all know they're blazing new territory, in contrast to banking and conventional currencies that have been around (and studied) for quite a while.

This is actually what put me off Bitcoin - when the whole block size schism revealed how few decision makers there actually were, and how easily they shaped the future direction of the currency according to their whims and interests.

pensive69

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
the key here is that even if the Nations think block chain is useful, bitcoin and other digital currencies are secret and can't be easily taxed.
"death to digital currencies on the public level".
you'll have to mine and trade them in secret to be of use going forward.
no Nation will allow play in non taxable and non regulated space.

You seem to ignore that all nations backing the major fiat currencies are massively in debt.
Meaning that basically all major fiat currencies are backed by debt and trust that it'll be paid.
Compared to that the tech backing different crypto assets is as solid as bedrock.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

This is not correct. You can try to anonymize it, but one misstep is all it takes for 3-letter government agencies to find your entire trail - much worse than if you'd used real cash.

More silliness. A lot of nations allow it. In the US, it's treated as an asset. You have to pay capital gains taxes on it, but you can also write down your losses if you sell for less than the cost basis.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

They're not backed by debt - they're backed by the nation state's need for its currency's value to remain stable. We then assume that they will manage their spending in a way that avoids inflation spiraling out of control. Usually, this is a sound assumption. Everyone can point to a handful of cases where a currency has become worthless, but there are usually warning signs.

The two are not comparable. This feels dangerously close to trolling, but in case anyone isn't clear, let's try this one more time.

Like fiat currency, crpyto has no intrinsic value. Its value is entirely speculative, and there's no entity with a lot of assets, foreign reserves, or that controls how much is printed that's willing and able to prop it up.

The tech doesn't make it valuable - all it does is foreclose the threat of counterfeiting and double-spending.

Status
Not open for further replies.