Crysis 2: PC and Consoles Compared in MP Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaileb

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
"the consoles have kept up really well"

I tend to think that games have been downgraded to run well on consoles, not that they have kept up well.

cronik93

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Kept up? You mean holding PC back? There's no graphical improvement over the first Crysis so what the hell? Same graphics....different setting....Everything else about the game(from the main menu to the linear levels in the SP) reeks of console..

Boy.....Crytek sure sold out PC gamers big time.

G

It's like the Radeon x1k series vs Geforce 7 series all over again... we all know who won that battle. Xenos ~ modified x1800 vs RSX ~ Modified 7800 GTX

wfrantz

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Stop all the hate. They created an engine that looks similar to the first, but runs %200 smoother. Jesus... people need to appreciate video games more and stop with all the drama, your like a bunch of 7th grade girls.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Honestly graphic quality doesnt make the game, its the gameplay...

see hollywood movies, all the special effects in the world cant make a movie like Battle LA a good movie

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I agree with wfrantz. This games looks better than most other games on the market and it is a fun game. Why are all the panzies here always complaining about graphics. Id gladly take some old Final Fantasy, Zelda, and Mario games over some graphics behemoths nowadays. Games are meant for fun, eyecandy is supposed to come after fun. This game has both whether your a crysis 1 fanboy or not. And its impressive that a game can look that good on a 360. And Im glad that I wont need a few years of upgrading my pc in order to play crysis 2 at max.

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
indeed, saying the graphics are the same or even similar is just silly. They are very different, and the new one runs much smoother. The game will get all of the pretty lights by the time it is actuially released in a more true PC title rather than a console port. They say it will be this way, let's give them some time to follow through.

That being said, I am personally annoyed that they would come out with a demo that is incomplete, making people think that their computer will run the full game when it may not once dx10/11 is added. All engine designers should learn from UT2K4. Make it playable on even on-board chips, but let the max settings be truly something for the special few.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Yeah the consoles are holding back gaming, not keeping up. Thankfully Battlefield 3 is designed for PC first then ported to the consoles; it's forcing DX10 and 11, won't even run on Win XP - woohoo! :D

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
This is the third or fourth plug for Crysis 2 in the past 2 days, Tom's. WTf? Just let it die. It's not a proper PC game and a huge disappointment after its predecessor. Let it die or write your own article regarding how much it sucks.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]Gameplay>graphics[/citation]
Graphics are part of gameplay. It creates immersion, eye candy, and simply part of the fun. FPS are especially reliant on this, since the immersion aspect is very important.
[citation][nom]caeden[/nom]
indeed, saying the graphics are the same or even similar is just silly. They are very different, and the new one runs much smoother.[/citation]
That is actually the sign that they are the similar. Old engine on new hardware (which is like 5x faster than what we had when the fist game was out) will runs smoother.

adamt19

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
DirectX needs to go away. biggup OpenCL - let devs get closer to the hardware, that's what is holding these games (on PC) back.

G

This new Crysis is a cop out. Gone is the bleeding edge experience of FarCry and Crysis. Here now the bland mediocrity of huge profits.

cronik93

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]Gameplay>graphics[/citation]

and everything about the gameplay is casual(Consolization)Do any game devs care about the core PC player anymore? I kinda got tired of playing promod, BF2, CSS, etc.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
The consoles do look well, but it's clear that the PC looks better! Gameplay on the PC is more fun and just wait for the DX11 patch and stop complaining!!! This game is a ton of fun!!!

jp182

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
[citation][nom]wfrantz[/nom]Stop all the hate. They created an engine that looks similar to the first, but runs %200 smoother. Jesus... people need to appreciate video games more and stop with all the drama, your like a bunch of 7th grade girls.[/citation]

i wish i could give you 8 more thumbs up

G

Lets see a comparison when they actually patch Crysis 2 with DX 10,11

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jevon[/nom]Yeah the consoles are holding back gaming, not keeping up. Thankfully Battlefield 3 is designed for PC first then ported to the consoles; it's forcing DX10 and 11, won't even run on Win XP - woohoo![/citation]

sucks i cant play it, as i hate vista and 7.
[citation][nom]cronik93[/nom]Kept up? You mean holding PC back? There's no graphical improvement over the first Crysis so what the hell? Same graphics....different setting....Everything else about the game(from the main menu to the linear levels in the SP) reeks of console..Boy.....Crytek sure sold out PC gamers big time.[/citation]

we hit this wall a while ago with diminishing returns. crysis 1 could look 5 times better than it did, but would you really notice all the detail without it being pointed out?

right now they are working on more passive detail improvements, as in things that don't need to be added by hand, because no one will really notice them in gameplay ever. consoles are on a 10 year cycle now because of this wall, because 10 years of improvements will give you a wow factor that before a 5 year cycle gave you.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]wfrantz[/nom]Stop all the hate. They created an engine that looks similar to the first, but runs %200 smoother. Jesus... people need to appreciate video games more and stop with all the drama, your like a bunch of 7th grade girls.[/citation]

Then why release the same product over again? If you're developing a new game you'd expect it to advance in certain areas and not be "siimilar to the first." We have things that are similar to the first and they're called expansion packs and usually cost half the price of the original. It's a disappointment from a game that was heralded as a saving grace of the PC market but in an attempt to take the easy way out (making a single game for consoles/PCs) they alienated the PC market.

Furthermore, forget whether the game is good or not. That just doesn't matter. If you buy crappy console ports then they'll keep making crappy console ports and then you've just bought a 6990/590 for absolutely no reason other than to brag to the rest of us. These games don't utilize your hardware to its full potential, they don't push game design forward. You're essentially buying the same old bland product in a new package. Congrats.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Im in with wfrantz. If Crysis2 is a powerhouse, then people complain they have to upgrade because they cant play it on their crappy PC. If its playable on a PC (and console) then people complain Crytek sold out. From what I saw the PC version had much better lighting and was much smoother.

And yes we do need the eye candy. No Doom level graphics no matter how good the gameplay...

Status
Not open for further replies.