Crysis 2: PC and Consoles Compared in MP Demo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmeyers99

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
multiplayer on the PC is worthless. It does not work and when it does you get serial in use errors or the server just does not load up and counts down from 1 forever. I will never buy a shooter on the console, but if they can play multiplayer then there version is better. PC version is a disgrace and lacking in every way as far as online goes.

XReflection

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Weren't these videos released like a long time ago?...Why is this just being posted now? The footage is from the freaking demo..

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
you maybe forgot, but i remind you once more. pc games at its core is about realism. because pc's always have more resources to fullfil it. gameplay in the past of pc gaming, always towards in realism (different with console which more casual/straightforward). graphics enhanced as the hardware advancing, effects eyecandy and animations added to become more lifelike, physx introduced with no other in mind except realism. even multichannel sound is standard these days, to enhance realism in non-graphics dept. not to mention the 3D and multimonitor setup. so, pc gaming is always making all elements fit together to experience the realism as much as the hardware provides. its different way of thinking (of much of the consolers). and the devs these days, now only focus on making dollars, forgot the essences of pc gaming. but iam a bit glad, that BF3 still have the idea of pc gaming. looks more promising and surely cant wait for it. something we hoped for.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I really was hoping Crysis 2 would be too hard for even the 590 and 6990 to run at full settings because of how intense the graphics are. But that is okay. Crysis 2 runs so much better, so that alone is a good improvement. I am sure they will kick things up a notch with Crysis 3. =)

Is it just me, or does anyone else think HDR lighting is getting out of hand? the whole game looks over-bright as do many other games these days. Id like the option to turn hdr off. I turn it off in Oblivion too as it destroys the game visually.

G

to all those saying the pc version was not held back, you may not be aware the PC version is only running DX9. If they bothered with the PC version it would look a hell of a lot better than the console editions, and would also cripple 90% of PCs in the world like Crysis did when it launched.

G

[citation][nom]old_newbie[/nom]Exactly. I would however replace the word "benchmarking software" with the words "engine developer". An "engine developer" gets the real money from licensing the SDK of their engine to an actual "game developer". Ex. NCSoft purchased the liscensing rights of the cryengine to develop AION. You are dead on about the Crysis game being just a "tech demo" for the CryEngine though.This is the same case with the Unreal Engine and the Unreal Tournament game. UT3 as a game sucked, but the Unreal Engine on which it was based, went on to be liscenced to developers of games on just about every PC, console, and mobile game you could think of. The UDK has raked in Trillions for Epic Games.I think Crytek is trying to use this business model for its cryengine. It is imperative that they show that the CryEngine is scalable across many platforms. This way, developers (that actually know how to make a good game) decide to buy the rights to use the engine....so they can make lots of money. Its not about pushing the limits of the PC, or piracy, or any drama Crytek stirs up. Its all about the money.[/citation]

I agree. Well said.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
These things do take time.

With that being said, I do agree that they have held back on the PC's version of the game. The non customizable graphical settings was quite a bad move on Crytek's part. But give it at least a few weeks before completely writing the game off as a failure. With more and more people within the game's community using Sandbox 3 and the CryEngine 3 SDK. Visuals will improve a great deal. For example have a look at the detail mods available for CryEngine 2, they offer much improved visual detail compared to the regular retail version.

howiejcee

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
So far I've played the MP demo and I must say that while the graphics/physics aren't bad for today's standards, it doesn't feel like much of a generational step forward compared to Crysis 1 / Warhead. I'm curious to see if BF3 graphics/physics will turn out better overall.

Also, if you guys want to see how much smoother the game really is via optimization, then try running an 8800GT or something from several years ago as a better indication...
in fact, I have one at home and perhaps I'll test it out for fun if I have time.

Also, the MP gameplay feels a bit boring. It certainly feels like many games today are increasingly being dumbed down to tailor to the masses and to the consoles purely for revenue and profits.

I just hope that PC hardware continues its pace of getting faster because it's so stupid to have games get stuck on 5+ year old hardware as in consoles.
Can you imagine being forced to play games on a 7900 GTX (released 3/2006) vs a GTX 580 (released 11/2010)?
The GTX 580 is around 5x the speed plus improved quality, effects, and features compared to the 4.5 years older 7900 GTX!!!

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Trialsking[/nom]I teach 7th grade boys/girls, and speaking as a teacher, its attitudes like this that allow the dumbing down of once great games. I am glad that the consoles get the game, but what is wrong with allowing the PC to strech it's legs graphically. Why do they insist on holding it back. Yes it looks pretty good now, but why do we have to wait for DX11 and improved higher end graphics? Because they had no intention of making anything more than a console port. They will slap on a few "DX11 features" but it will not be a true DX11 game. Why for the love of God did Crysis 1 come with dx10 and Crysis 2 doesn't? Because its a port plain and simple. If your a console fanboy, live it up, but don't tell the PC gamers to dumbdown our expectations to 7th grade level.[/citation]

What's worse is Crytek stated, "Crysis 2 will be a true PC game for PC gamers" Yeah, ok.

Krnt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[citation][nom]cronik93[/nom]Kept up? You mean holding PC back? There's no graphical improvement over the first Crysis so what the hell? Same graphics....different setting....Everything else about the game(from the main menu to the linear levels in the SP) reeks of console..Boy.....Crytek sure sold out PC gamers big time.[/citation]
I wish graphics were at least the same in Crysis 2, but textures were toned down a lot also geometry have been very simplified compared to the first Crysis.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
"the consoles have kept up really well"

Yeah, I saw a Volkswagon Beatle "keep up really well" with a Lamborghini Murciélago too.

Did I forget to mention it was in a school zone?

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]I agree with wfrantz. This games looks better than most other games on the market and it is a fun game. Why are all the panzies here always complaining about graphics. Id gladly take some old Final Fantasy, Zelda, and Mario games over some graphics behemoths nowadays. Games are meant for fun, eyecandy is supposed to come after fun. This game has both whether your a crysis 1 fanboy or not. And its impressive that a game can look that good on a 360. And Im glad that I wont need a few years of upgrading my pc in order to play crysis 2 at max.[/citation]

lol battle la isnt a bad movie i dissagree with you on that one..

G

I think a lot of you have missed the point of video games. They are for fun, not for breaking down into how many polygons they have or whether they use deformation mapping as oppose to bump mapping. I still enjoy playing Diablo II, and I know a few people who still love playing Zelda! If you want cutting edge graphics, I suggest you spend a million or so on a Air Forice flight simulator class computer and hire a game company to spend 5 or 6 years creating a realistic game for you. The rest of us will be content with improved gameplay, fun and longevity over realistic computer graphics (which btw you have to fork over tons of bucks to upgrade your video card, ram and processor for). Just my humble opinion.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Dear Sony,
Please understand that blurring the entire image isn't an acceptable solution to AA. While Xbox looks the most like the PC version, your version is desaturated, under-contrasted and generally poor looking, like if I was playing in a foggy room. Until you can create solution, I have no choice but to let my PS3 collect dust.

-Josh

PS: Remember MAG? That was baddass. Maybe more along that line.

G

Are you all serious? The Xbox 360 and PS 3 can blow the living hell out of most gaming PC's. The only thing holding them back is the higher demand for quality. Games are not allowed to lag or lose frame rates nearly as much. Also who exactly is going to be able to run Crysis 2 if the graphics were increased. Most can barely run the first game. In the end PC gaming is holding back itself.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]tonicmole[/nom]Are you all serious? The Xbox 360 and PS 3 can blow the living hell out of most gaming PC's. The only thing holding them back is the higher demand for quality. Games are not allowed to lag or lose frame rates nearly as much. Also who exactly is going to be able to run Crysis 2 if the graphics were increased. Most can barely run the first game. In the end PC gaming is holding back itself.[/citation]
Go back to playing with your 5 year old pieces of hardware they have low end PC components from 2005 they aren't advanced and they wont beat my 6950 and Phenom II 955 at anything they don't support DX10 and 11 for a reason. Morons like you make me want to puke.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]tonicmole[/nom]Are you all serious? The Xbox 360 and PS 3 can blow the living hell out of most gaming PC's. The only thing holding them back is the higher demand for quality. Games are not allowed to lag or lose frame rates nearly as much. Also who exactly is going to be able to run Crysis 2 if the graphics were increased. Most can barely run the first game. In the end PC gaming is holding back itself.[/citation]

That's because it's dumbed down to play on your old hardware. If your Xbox360 were anywhere close to my PC with regards to performance we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Are you all serious? The Xbox 360 and PS 3 can blow the living hell out of most gaming PC's. The only thing holding them back is the higher demand for quality. Games are not allowed to lag or lose frame rates nearly as much. Also who exactly is going to be able to run Crysis 2 if the graphics were increased. Most can barely run the first game. In the end PC gaming is holding back itself.

Are you serious? You clearly don't know anything about PC hardware or the Xbox 360/PS3 hardware. The PS3 uses the RSX GPU, which is based on the 2005 era GeForce 7800. That GPU is 4 generations old and is practically an antique as far as video cards are concerned. Same goes for the Xbox 360's GPU, the ATI Xenos, which is based on the X1900 GPU. Additionally both the Xbox 360 and PS3 only offer support for DirectX 9/OpenGL ES 1.1 programming techniques, while PCs can use DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4, allowing developers to use tessellation, ambient occlusion and other techniques which give MUCH better quality, while also increasing flexibility and increasing performance.

G

Whingers. Seriously..Go get a job and then go develop your own game if your so good. Wah wah wah . I had the first crysis, and honestly don't see what all you whiners are well...whining about? Crysis 2 is great, they've made a solid game. Clearly game developers now realise no matter what they do, a million of you trolls are going to bag them for something anyway. Go be constructive....go get a degree and go "make these top generation games" you speak of. Oh hence you forget the dev's work for a "company" , hence would be effected my management, time frames, budgets, etc etc. But i guess most whingers are school kids who dont actually know how the real world works yet...i hope so....or my hopes for the human race are dimished by reading your critical garbage Rah over and out!

Status
Not open for further replies.