crystaldiskinfo caution current pending sector count rising - now at 1456

May 16, 2018
Hi TomsHardware Users,

I know this has been asked to death already because I have read many pages here since yesterday. The advice is to try and zero rate the drive to see if it corrects itself. However with a pending sector count this high I wonder if any attempts are futile? I have had a few stop errors, Windows 10 has also prompted me to scan the disk for errors twice this week. I cannot access Outlook (just freezes or reads it cannot access the .pst) and when I try to copy Outlooks .pst (5GB), to the same disk, the timer keeps going up. (starts reading as 2 min remaining, then over an hour, eventually gets to 99% and just hangs)

Rebooting Windows, it gets to the desktop, mouse moves but I cannot do anything for about half an hour while in task manager the drive is 100% usage for that duration.

Also note that CrystalDiskInfo also states Reallocated Sector Count at 160. It was on a lower value yesterday that I can't recall.

Your advice is appreciated.

Regards,
S

May 16, 2018

Not sure why this site is fighting me with incorrect quotes and the image not showing. Here is a LINK. Thanks.

May 16, 2018

Unfortunately I don't have a spare HDD. This is also my work laptop. Will grab the backup HDD when I get to work tomorrow though.

Regards,
S

May 16, 2018

That confirms my suspicions, thanks. Will request a new drive and back this one asap. Thanks.