Crytek: Crysis 2 Will Have Best AI Ever in a Game

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
"fayzaan:
Why is it that everyone is making games about WAR all the time!! its all about shooting, killing, blood spilling, knifing etc.! how about a game about LOVE for once!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!! I is angwy!!!"

go play farmville on face book then.

"some dude in a boonie hat and tshirt should die if I put 2 in his chest not stagger back and shrug it off and shoot me with the same rifle"
people that weren't raised on t.v. don't know to fall down and just die when they are shot in real life, they take a mortal wound and it barely slows them down and keep comming after you until the wound does it's trick. ask the u.s. army about that when they were fighting indians, esp general custer. ask the british army about that in both their african and indian colonization efforts. better yet watch the videos on youtube with the afgani's fighting ak 47 gun battles with each other (most of the time i think the pot smokin they are doing has a big part of it, but they aren't stoned in every battle i've seen. now that is something they used to have in FPS S.I.N. )

G

Far Cry 2 gameplay was largely mis-implemented. I believe this was at least in part due to the effort and budget exerted in creating a multi-platform title, rather than a pc-exclusive.

The bottom line is you either exert all your efforts making it great for one platform, or spread significant amount of effort across the 3 platforms. Rarely do you get the time to do it right while accommodating the needs of all 3 platforms, even with the state of art toolsets.

Lets look at even the recent history to find an example. Halflife 2 came out with great vehicle physics, and great physics period, years before Far Cry 2 was released. For FC2 we got these ghetto arcadey-style vehicle physics. Coincidence? Considering that reasonable vehicle physics was already an expected feature of major PC titles for years, i think it was no coincidence.

Crysis 2 is already heading down the same road; crucial budget and time to create a balanced PC FPS, which is a very different experience from 'pick up, put down' arcadey console playing, being reallocated towards satisfying the needs of all the 3 platforms (especially the significantly performance hampered 360).

G

Additional comment - don't expect so much precious multiplayer from FPS games. It's always the same old deathmatch with new graphics.

Stop asking professional studios to exert all their artistic effort into providing you a new forum to 'pwn' people with the same old tired gameplay. Let them spend their talent and time creating immersion, story, and unique action sequences that you can literally lose yourself in.

I hate when the potential for a great title like Crysis 2 and all its artistic expression is squashed and overshadowed by the demands of online socialpath kiddies, many of whom dont even meet the minimum age requirement, who have already assumed ownership of the title as their next multiplayer playground to compulsively fill their ego via the same old tired deathmatch ("who even plays the single player??").

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Multiplayer is crucial in the standard FPS. Not because its a common feature, but because the single-player has always been lacking. Only 8 to 10 hours of single player gameplay out of a $50~$60 box. I don't think anyone can justify that price. This is why multiplayer is essential, it gives the small content modern fps more playability. This is also why there hasn't been an FPS or action game that has measured up to Half-Life 2 yet.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I am excited. I think Crysis is the best single-player action game ever made. Sure there are faults and compromises, but the achievement was enormous. And the game was largely what Crytek promised as they were developing it. It will be amazing if they can create something even better, that will also run on a console (!) But, I will certainly give them the benefit of any doubt. Not only because I want to believe them, but because of what they've delivered before.

Why drag in Far Cry 2? Ubisoft called it "Far Cry 2" because it was twice as good as Far Cry and half as good as Crysis. It reflects nothing on Crytek.

I only hope Crysis 2 will not be consolized to the point of hurting the silky-smooth weapon control or giving up instant save-anywhere. As for graphics, if they're even close to Crysis I'll be content.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]Sounds great!.. but if they follow in the footsteps of crysis 1.. none of us will be able to enjoy all that "AI" until 2014 when 6 core proccessors are in the bargain bin and graphics cards have 10 gigs of ram on the entry level cards.[/citation]

I think one reason Crysis didn't sell better was people making comments like this, with no qualification or justification.

Actually, Crysis ran great even on low end machines (like mine at the time). You just couldn't turn the eye-candy up to 11. But even low-res graphics in Crysis were as good as almost anything else, and took away nothing from the terrific gameplay.

G

"While the bullet from an 7.62 can go that far and very accurately might I add (its the same size bullet as a .30-06 that we use in some of our sniper rifles and for deer hunting in civilian hands"

Just a note, they're not if you're talking AK-47. 7.62x39mm (which is not the same as 7.62x51mm) is a .311/.312 caliber bullet like .303 British (although to confuse things there are some rifles listed as 7.62x39 with .308" barrels). The .30-06 fires a .308 caliber bullet (the same as .308 Win, .300 Savage, .300 Win Mag, etc.). Also, case design and pressure limits (and thus muzzle velocity), make a huge difference between the .30 caliber rifles. The .30-30 and .300 Win Mag are extremely different, despite both being .308.

Back on topic, I still remember one of the most stellar moments of AI performance in Far Cry 1. There was a battle outside a cafeteria...mounted gun, explosions, etc. I wait until the two sides are about done and pick off the stragglers. As I'm walking down the hall, corpses everywhere, a bunch of guards jump out of the cafeteria to my right. Apparently from my footsteps they knew I was an enemy who had to be shot, but they couldn't be bothered helping their friends in that hallway a second earlier.

kckrich

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
YES! Anyone recall the AI from the first Crysis? How they would always be surprised to the point of shitting themselves if you ran and jumped in front of them... every time. And how they would always turn around and run away then turn back around and start shooting at you then turn around and run away again.. it was definitely an atmosphere killer. Then there was their accuracy, but anyways as long as it's better than before.

G

Well, here we are, March 27th, 2011, only 5 days after the release, and the verdict?

The AI isn't as amazing as it should be (though it's an improvement over Crysis 1's AI).

One problem the NPC System faces is that the NPC's go down after you hit 'em, but get back up. IT annoys me, because I move onto other people once my enemy is down. They suddenly get back up and attack me!

Indiviual NPC's will simply keep their idle stance when someone goes down near them (sometimes, they go to investigate, which is cool). Any NPC's in vehicles? They don't shoot me.

Atleast the AI doesn't suffer the 'no-shooting, but staring' syndrome when you were uncloaked in Crysis 1. In Crysis 2, they sometimes notice you a little too fast, but this super-vision is better than 'shock-vision'. I'm happy they were able to solve that.

The AI doesn't shoot at you while you're cloaked, like in Crysis 1 (unless you're too cloaked). That's great. it annoyed me that the Vehicle Gunners in Crysis 1 were able to do that.

Considering that the game is a "Linear Sandbox", where you're forced to go to an area, but the area lets you complete something in a Sandbox-y way, the AI must have been hard to code, again.

The Difficulty of the AI? Magnificent. They were very awesome at running around, which made shooting them hard, (though that's partly because of the gun mechanics), and they did take cover, because there was alot of cover put there by the Devs. Their numbers made the firefights very engaging, because you'd be losing energy, and trying to keep that health up. This is on Hard, and I'm not sure about the lower difficulties, though I'm sure that Super Solder (the fourth level) will be devastatingly lethal, in terms of damage by the AI.

Crytek did promise many dfferent death sequences with each NPC, right? I don't see much difference, especially for the Alien NPC's (the DUMBEST, for god's sake). The Human NPC's seem to always clutch their neck when I hit them around the shoulders, or upper-chest. I wish they'd make their hand go to where a bullet hit them! :D (That'd be cool, anyone know a game with that?)

I just didn't like that Mr. Yerli (Crytek CEO) said that Crysis 2 would have the most advanced AI you'd see. It didn't really improve much over Crysis 1, if you look closely, but it satisfied my gaming experience. I don't expect AI to be "realistic" yet, I'm expecting that for the future. Maybe around 2060? We might have some unbeleivably great AI to destroy.

They simply need to fix some glitches, which could even be in the process right now. (There's been two patches so far, 1.1 and 1.2, in 5 days after the release! Imagine the game after 1/2 months, almost 0 bugs in physics and AI. Then, the game will be unbelievable.)

Status
Not open for further replies.