CSGO constant stuttering(micro-stuttering/jitter) with high fps and 144hz monitor

Povilas_2

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
Hello, I have had this problem for about 3 years already, my games are not butter-smooth as they're supposed to be with high fps and 144hz monitor. CSGO is the one where that thing is the most noticeable, the game is not smooth at all, constant micro-stutters, it feels like the input lag goes over the roof as well because of it. Other games have problems as well, but they aren't as noticeable as in CSGO, they're also not smooth, kinda micro-stuttering for about 0.5s constantly.
All 4 my PC's had this problem. I've built 2 of them all by myself, part by part.

Tried 4 different PC's.
Reinstalled windows multiple times
Reinstalled official drivers
Tried drivers straight from motherboard's website
Tried various launch options, various NVIDIA settings
Different monitors
Different mice.
Tried to play with VSync off and on.

I have constant good ping in all games, 100mb/s internet and a high-end router, I don't get any loss or choke while playing. I have 144+ fps in all of my games, and constant 300 fps in CSGO.
P.S. All temperatures are perfect. My CPU doesn't exceed 55 degrees while playing and GPU stays at about 50 as well.

My current rig:
CPU : I7-6700k @ 4.5Ghz with 1.325V and Noctua NH-D14 cooler
MB : Gigabyte Z170-HD3P
GPU : Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 6GB
RAM : Kingston DDR4 Savage 1x8Gb 2400Mhz
SSD : Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
PSU : SeaSonic M12II-620M 620W
Monitor : BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz
Mice : Zowie EC2-A

Tried multiple guides and suggested "fixes" but none of them have helped so far. Any help will be appreciated.

Solution
I can suggest you some things to do:

0) Use the High Performance plan in Power Options.

1) Very important:
Download the newest Intel Management Engine Driver from Intel's site. Don't underestimate this one, a lot of people do. Intel ME is very important, the newer motherboard you have the more important it is to have an updated version of IME installed. I have sometimes tried to ignore IME (by only using the generic windows driver) but that has always resulted in massive stutters/jitter in games. You need the newest IME version because it's the last with some CPU optimizations.

2) Check that you have the newest chipset drivers for your motherboard. Download the latest chipset drivers from your manufacturer's website.

3) Download...

Povilas_2

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016

How can I check if it's on or off ? First time I heard about this things, I know what GSync is tho.

polygonzero

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
I can suggest you some things to do:

0) Use the High Performance plan in Power Options.

1) Very important:
Download the newest Intel Management Engine Driver from Intel's site. Don't underestimate this one, a lot of people do. Intel ME is very important, the newer motherboard you have the more important it is to have an updated version of IME installed. I have sometimes tried to ignore IME (by only using the generic windows driver) but that has always resulted in massive stutters/jitter in games. You need the newest IME version because it's the last with some CPU optimizations.

2) Check that you have the newest chipset drivers for your motherboard. Download the latest chipset drivers from your manufacturer's website.

3) Download the Nvidia driver from their site then remove your current driver with DDU on safe mode. Disconnect your internet to avoid windows update download and install the driver. Choose to install only display driver and PhysX. Don't install 3D Vision or GeForce Experience or Nvidia HD Audio. After this, reboot your PC. Then on Nvidia control panel disable the Shader Cache.

4) If after those you experience those fps drops you can try to switch your GPU to MSI Mode by following this guide (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=378044). MSI mode (Message Signaled-Based Interrupts) provides better and faster communication between CPU and GPU, makes it more of a direct connection between the two. It makes sure that the communication between them is not interrupted by other processes and that their connection is always highest priority. AMD graphic cards has MSI mode by default, as does Nvidia Quadro. GeForce uses Lined Based by default but Lined Based can often produce stuttering because it is interrupted by other windows background processes.

At the bottom of the article by mbk1969 there's an utility (MSI utility v2) to make the switch to MSI mode a lot easier. Create a new system restore point before you put GPU in MSI mode.
Link to the utility: (http://www.mediafire.com/file/2kkkvko7e75opce/MSI_util_v2.zip).

5) Just a tip try to not install many useless programs like ASUS gamefirst/MSI Control Center. Also disable the automatic driver updates from windows updates and close internet browsers when you play games because they use GPU and CPU resources.

6) You can try to disable HPET (high precision event timer) in BIOS. You should try both on and off. For some people it's actually best to disable HPET, but it has become most recommended and common to have HPET enabled, especially on newer motherboards. If you can't find HPET in BIOS it's because the motherboard manufacturer doesn't want you to disable it. On Windows 10 it's best to leave HPET enabled. On Windows 7 HPET should be disabled. No idea about Windows 8.

7) If you are on Windows 10 Creators Update or Creators Fall Update right click csgo.exe and select properties. Under the compatibility tab click Disable Full screen Optimizations.

These following ones are some other important fixes, they have fixed stutter issues for me at some point. Unfortunately I don't have time not explain each step in detail so you will have to google them for more information.

8) Adding an exception/exclusion for the Steam folder in Windows Defender settings.

9) Disable XBOX, Game Mode and DVR.

10) Disable the service named "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry". (Can also be named Diagnostics / DiagTrack)

11) Disable SuperFetch and PreFetch.

12) Use Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4. Disable everything under the Privacy tab on the Security & Privacy page. (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-4-windows-10)

13) You can try Process Lasso and it's Performance Mode (previously known as Gaming Mode). It works great for me. Uninstall if you don't like it.

14) Enable integrated GPU + Install newest driver for iGPU. Works for some but not all. (https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/5nzt5x/fpsstuttering_fixes_for_intel_processors_one/)

15) If you usually play over Wi-Fi, try to play over Ethernet and see if the stutters disappear. Wi-Fi interference and lag can actually cause stuttering and fps drops in CSGO. I've experienced frame time stutters caused by WiFi several times myself.

16) Use LatencyMon to check if any of your drivers are causing high DPC values. If you find a driver with very high DPC ms values, try to download and install the latest version of that specific driver. Do this until all your drivers have good values. Nvidia can sometimes have high DPC values, but this seems to be normal. Some people try to fix this by putting Nvidia GPU in MSI Mode which can work sometimes but not always.

17) Uninstall GeForce Experience. Removing it seem to help a lot of people with stuttering.

18) Set "Maximum pre-rendered frames" to 1 in Nvidia Control Panel. This seems to work for a lot of people but for a few it actually makes things worse.

19) Also set Power management mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance" in Nvidia Control Panel.

20) fps_max 0 can help in some cases. Playing with unlocked fps is prefered in a lot of competetive games.

I hope you can fix your stuttering problem.

Solution

sialal

Commendable
Feb 9, 2019

Have you solved this problem?