[SOLVED] CSGO disabling fullscreen optimalisation

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Hi guys, i have a question. In csgo when i have UNCHECKED disabling fullscreen optimalisation my average fps on workshop fps test map is 317 everything on low. But when i CHECK the disabling fullscreen optimalisation my average fps are 500. But when i have it checked the screen doesnt feel smoother. So UNCHECKED-lower fps, more smooth in lower fps. CHECKED-higher fps, less smooth in lower fps(160)

Is that normal? Its happening only in csgo. The difference is so huge. btw i have ryzen 5 3600, rtx 2070 and 144hz monitor(gsync turned off in csgo because of input lag)

thanks for any help

Solution
Full screen optimizations are meant to make a game running in Borderless Window mode believe it's running in Full Screen Exclusive mode. From https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/

When using Fullscreen Optimizations, your game believes that it is running in Fullscreen Exclusive, but behind the scenes, Windows has the game running in borderless windowed mode. When a game is run in borderless windowed mode, the game does not have full control of the display– that overarching control is given back to the Desktop Window Manager (DWM). The DWM manages the composition/organization of the desktop display content from various applications, meaning it controls what is rendered and presented to...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Borderless fullscreen doesn't agree with many games and that's what fullscreen optimisation does, it's a blend between both.

Having it checked obviously is getting you more frames and a lot more frames missing on screen as a result. Lesser frames = less frames dropped visually giving the feeling it's smoother.

Gsync shouldn't give you much lag at all if in it's range. Limit fps to -1 fps below refresh rate using fps command in CS.

svat

Prominent
Aug 18, 2020
Okay thanks. I was used to play csgo a lot so i can see like eveery diference when something its wrong, i just can feel the difference in my mouse with gsync.
Anyways thanks for answer

Full screen optimizations are meant to make a game running in Borderless Window mode believe it's running in Full Screen Exclusive mode. From https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/

When using Fullscreen Optimizations, your game believes that it is running in Fullscreen Exclusive, but behind the scenes, Windows has the game running in borderless windowed mode. When a game is run in borderless windowed mode, the game does not have full control of the display– that overarching control is given back to the Desktop Window Manager (DWM). The DWM manages the composition/organization of the desktop display content from various applications, meaning it controls what is rendered and presented to the front of your display and what is held in the background. However, this control has historically resulted in a slight performance overhead vs FSE, where the game has full control.

To get back this performance overhead, we enhanced the DWM to recognize when a game is running in a borderless full screen window with no other applications on the screen. In this circumstance, the DWM gives control of the display and almost all the CPU/GPU power to the game.

Solution