CSGO doesn't open?

somePcNoob

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
Hi guys, since a couple of days ago my csgo has been refusing to open, when I click play the loading box pops up saying preparing to launch, after which the egg timer pops up briefly, the game says it's running for a few seconds then it goes back to usual, during this process the actual csgo client doesn't open. Between the game working there have been (to my knowledge) no windows/graphics driver updates and no viruses detected etc.

These are the fixed I have attempted (all of which are greeted by the same response):
- re-installed csgo
- verified game cache
- renamed steamapps folder then re-installed csgo (so no old files/configs remain)
- ran as admin
- ran in various compatability modes
- unticked one of the settings in the 'services' section of the system configuration
- loaded straight from the directory instead of through steam

Is there anything you guys could suggest to try next? Fyi i'm on as asus g750 laptop with a gtx 870m, with steam and all the games installed on the 1tb hdd.

Many thanks,

Matt

Solution
Maybe time to consider reinstalling Windows. Backup your steam apps folder and copy it back later, Steam will sort it out.

somePcNoob

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

I'm on windows 10, and alas, no change.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is it just csgo this happens to?

Try reinstall steam. Just leave the steam.exe and apps folder in steam folder and delete the rest. Open steam and it will re-download itself.

I'd try updating your video drivers as well.

There could have been an update Microsoft gave you that could have muddled things if you left the treat recommended updates as important left on.

Try also safe mode to load 'last known good configuration' might help.

somePcNoob

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

None of these things semed to help, all are greeted with the exact same problem. I wasn't aware with windows 10 there was an easy way to stop the updates as they're automatic (I knowof one way but it's a pain in the ass).

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Updates might be related its not certain but given your issue it just might be, who knows. http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2763685/stop-windows-automatically-updating-device-drivers.html Its changed a little since so if your Win10 is up to date look down to for the 5th screen shot.

If you have manufacturer specific drivers and don't need to rely on Microsoft can turn it off, or alas if your system is running fine. Generally Microsoft are pretty good with drivers but there can be moments which you'll find yourself scratching your head because of an update.

You didn't answer if this issue was csgo or steam specific. Have you tested other games or from a different platform like Origin or Uplay (ie Farcry4)? Would help us narrow it down.

somePcNoob

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

Ahh okay thanks for the info, had a quick check and all my drivers are up to date (I have nvidia drivers for my gpu). So csgo and terraria don't open (this was a previous issue which I resulved for terraria with a compatibility mode change) but other games such as call of duty amd wolfenstein do.

somePcNoob

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

No luck with windows mode unfortunately, also I can't see anything about directx in the link, is it just something like -directx 10 ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure about directx maybe cant change it. Found this reply from one of the comments from: https://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/541906348046031184/#p1 it helped someone as appose to other suggestions with lots of 'didn't work' lol so thought id share.

Go to search, type in "msconfig", press enter, press the "Services" tab, press the "Service" heading at the top of the list, scroll down and deselect "Windows Management Instrumentation", press OK and restart your computer."

Try disable that service. If not theres a bunch of other possible fixes you can try.

somePcNoob

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

So tried all of these things and again nothing has fixed it. I'm not sure if this is relavent but at around the same time as csgo stopped working so did league of legends, and for the game to not crash on start I have to consistantly run it as admin every time I load the client (completely forgot about it initially, not sure if it will offer any new insight).

Thanks again.

somePcNoob

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

No change to either program with the settings in any state of off unfortunately

somePcNoob

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

Been waiting for this, since steam is installed on my hdd and windows on the ssd should I just pull out the hdd, sort out windows then pop back in the hard drive? Also would it be best to format the ssd for the reinstall, then install the relavent drivers/software etc for my laptop from the asus website? And in regards to my windows product key, do I just call up asus with my serial number or something to get it?

Thanks a lot!!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yea best to pull out the hdd. I read here Windows can scatter install files to other hdds so best to disconnect it.

Just deleting partition and create new is enough, no need to format.

In regards to your product key, it was activated online when you did the upgrade. Skip the sections it asks for a serial and it will activate afterwards once you're online.

somePcNoob

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

So do I need to make a bootable usb, boot off of that then delete the partition during the windows set up phase? Also the reinstall will remove any programs I have installed on my ssd right? And steam is actually installed on my hdd (don't ask me why it was a while ago) so should I get rid of that then reinstall on my ssd after I've sorted windows?

Thanks again!

somePcNoob

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014

Done the reinstall, sorted all the drivers etc and all games work perfectly, it even fixed a couple of other trivial issues I was having, thank you very much, you have been most helpful!!

Newters

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016

http://windowsreport.com/counter-strike-global-offensiv...

i found this website super useful. i just followed what option 2 said to do and now it works good luck :)

MorisCami

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
Just thought I'd chime in here for anyone who has had this issue recently. I found that none of the fixes currently available on the net were helping me and was getting insanely frustrated.

It turned out that I was having this issue after one of the Windows 10 forced updates which had consequently screwed up my NVidia drivers, showing no actual side effects in any other games...

Anyways, when I completely removed the display drivers from my pc, removed cs:go, AND deleted the appcache in the steam directory and reinstalled cs:go and the display drivers the problem seemed to fix itself. Now having no problems. I hope someone finds this helpful!