[SOLVED] CSM enable or disable?

Nov 26, 2018
I've recently installed Windows 10 on my NVMe SSD. While installing, I disabled my CSM. Do I need to enable it after installation or can I leave it?

What advantage or disadvantage does an enabled CSM have over a disabled one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chriseast519
Solution
The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the UEFI firmware that provides legacy BIOS compatibility by emulating a BIOS environment, allowing legacy operating systems and some option ROMs that do not support UEFI to still be used.

CSM also provides required legacy System Management Mode (SMM) functionality, called CompatibilitySmm, as an addition to features provided by the UEFI SMM. This is optional, and highly chipset and platform specific. An example of such a legacy SMM functionality is providing USB legacy support for keyboard and mouse, by emulating their classic PS/2 counterparts.
The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the UEFI firmware that provides legacy BIOS compatibility by emulating a BIOS environment, allowing legacy operating systems and some option ROMs that do not support UEFI to still be used.

CSM also provides required legacy System Management Mode (SMM) functionality, called CompatibilitySmm, as an addition to features provided by the UEFI SMM. This is optional, and highly chipset and platform specific. An example of such a legacy SMM functionality is providing USB legacy support for keyboard and mouse, by emulating their classic PS/2 counterparts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Nov 26, 2018

so can i leave it as disabled since im running in UEFI Bios?